Stalling when slowing/idling, "reduced engine power"

kristinemjones

Reaction score
My check engine light came on the other day and due to work/childcare/money circumstances, I was unable to get it in to get it checked out. At the same time, the car started stalling when we'd start to come to a slow-down (stop light, stop sign, coming off the off ramp from the highway, etc...) We'd turn it off, turn it back on and then it would die right away.
Well, this morning husband drove to work, the car did the stall thing right after getting off the highway, he started it back up and made it to work. After work he started it and there was a reduced engine power light on - he said he tried to drive and could only go like 5mph. I guess he shut it off, sat for a few mins then restarted and it worked. He started the drive home, but got the stall crap at every stop sign and light.
Any ideas of what the problem is?
If I take it to Auto Zone to get the CEL codes read, will it tell me what this issue is?

Thanks in advance!

kristinemjones

Reaction score
My husband was the one driving it so I don't know about today - but the last couple of days I didn't pay attention to it.

kristinemjones

Reaction score
Ok....
My husband went to get the oil changed this morning and apparently all that was in there was chunks of oil - so they flushed it, filled it, changed the filter. There was also something going on with the radiator and he said it registered on something that he was checking and the color was coming up pink. (I'm sorry that I don't know what this stuff means - it's all like playing telephone.. since it's down from my husband and then through me)

I guess with the radiator stuff it wasn't cooling properly and we were due for the antifreeze/coolant change. So they flushed the old and replaced it with new stuff.
He also said there was moisture in the gas line and to throw some HEET in there and to replace our gas cap because it seemed as though it didn't have a good seal. (the heet and cap were things he told us to get from an auto parts shop, not through them so it wasn't an arm and a leg)
alright, I guess they didn't give my husband a code for the CEL, but he said it said "emissions" The code was read *after* all of this work was done. Possible something that was done took care of something with the light? And what the heck does that mean - "emissions"?? lol

Any of this stuff make sense? Does it sound like it's all unrelated? I threw a message on facebook last night about the issue and had some people say some of the following:
*sounds like a fuel injection or throttle body sensor issue
*throttle valve/plate accumulated carbon and it's sticky with the cold weather and can't open (we're in MN) and it needs to be cleaned.

Any further thoughts?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buttonsup