The E85 Craze...

sloancallaway

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On RLF there is a huge E85 Craze Going on and one of the more interesting things I came across was this thread and I thought I would share it with you guys. Is anyone else either running on E85 or considering. It isnt available up here yet however it looks promising from this

Thanks to tennpenn83 and wickedss for doing this

Tennpenn83 vs. WickedSS2005 (TVS vs. E85 M62)

*Note - This is not a war story. This is a genuine comparison between E85 and 93 pump gas.*

During the Columbus, OH meet this past weekend, Tom and I took a quick trip to Mexico to 'compare' the differences between E85 and 93 octane pump gas.

Pertinent mods related to this comparison :

WickedSS2005

2005 Cobalt SS/SC
M62
2.6" pulley
heat exchanger with "Stu" mod
full 3" header/dp/exhaust
E85

Tennpenn83

2006 ION Redline
TVS
3.1" pulley
dual-pass/opt B/heat exchanger
completely stock exhaust with 2.5" cat-less downpipe (I am not retarded, please don't try to tell me I need exhaust mods)
93 Octane pump gas (no meth/E85/etc..)

From a 40 roll, to 120ish, we were DEAD EVEN. The only time anybody gained anything was when we shifted. (The Redlines come with 17" wheels and the Cobalts 18". I shifted first and he gained a fender, then when he shifted a second later, I gained the fender back to be nose-to-nose again.)

Granted, I have a lot more room to work with compared to the pretty-much-maxxed-out M62 setup. I can get exhaust mods, E85, and a smaller pulley and probably walk away from him fairly easily. He really can't do much more to a M62 setup without breaking into the motor for a Port/Polish on the head, valvesprings, etc... but then again, I could always do that too...

Both of us should be right around 290-ish whp. As EBristol (aka GMRedline) stated in his thread, the E85 has some amazing potential. If I had some E85 stations within 45 miles of me, that's all I'd be running. Then Tom would only be able to see my tail lights

This is only a testament to the explosive power of E85. Props to Tom for the best comparison I've made in a long while.

If you would like to read the discussion here is the site
http://www.redlineforums.com/forums...15-tennpenn83-vs-wickedss2005-tvs-vs-e85.html

sloancallaway

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so nobody has considered changing to e85 on here at all? Considering that all they are doing is changing fuel and tune and they are producing more power i dont see why more people havent thought about it. I would if it was readily available, or available at all here

USMCFieldMP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so nobody has considered changing to e85 on here at all? Considering that all they are doing is changing fuel and tune and they are producing more power i dont see why more people havent thought about it. I would if it was readily available, or available at all here

I have been wanting to do the switch since May. Conveniently, I haven't been around my car since then. When I get home, the switch will be made.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kpcasperson