Thinking About Replacing OnStar

AJ80

Reaction score
Hi all.
I've just joined this forum because I bought a 2007 Cobalt SS on Friday.

My car came equipped with OnStar, but I'm never going to use it.
What I thought would be nice, though, is to make use of the OnStar buttons, microphone and sound system integration.

From what I've found on the internet so far, it appears to me that the OnStar capabilities are contained in a module that could be replaced.

Does anyone have experience or suggestions with replacing OnStar with some other feature? Preferably BlueTooth.

I realize that there are already BlueTooth OnStar replacements on the market, but I wouldn't mind trying my hand at building some sort of replacement module myself since I do have some experience with building electronic devices and programming PIC chips in those devices. My experience is from 2 years ago, but I'm think I could relearn the things that I've forgotten.

Any advice or links to technical specifications about the input and output of the OnStar module would be appreciated.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's to doing something new, hope you get the answers you're looking for man it'd be a first.

Brit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that would be awesome if you did get that to working. can't wait to see how it turns out!

Tuner923

Full Access Member
Reaction score
uh.. I'm not sure how it works on other models but.. I don't have onstar activated and I still have integrated bluetooth.....

AJ80

Reaction score
uh.. I'm not sure how it works on other models but.. I don't have onstar activated and I still have integrated bluetooth.....

I did try getting my phone to detect bluetooth while I was in my car and it didn't detect any devices. I also didn't see any reference to bluetooth in the owners manual.

Is there any thing special you have to do to get your bluetooth to work?

What year is your Cobalt? Mine is a 2007 SS sedan.
I'll double check my manual though.

cobalt123

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Self destruct button or eject passenger button ideal for those unwanted fat chicks

AJ80

Reaction score
Self destruct button huh?

What happens if someone borrows my car and for some reason tries to contact onstar?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmaurais