Tire Pressure Monitor Problems

Skipper

Reaction score
I have a 09 Cobalt LT and I have tried 3 times to reset the freakin tire pressure monitor on the dash. Yes I followed the steps! Who ever had the car before me, replaced the front tires and on one of them has a longer wheel stem. Would that make a difference? I'm sure they wouldn't just leave it unhooked, but who knows. I found out the prices to have the dealer look at it and my thought is that this isn't worth the trouble and money. Is there a way to turn off that function so it won't blink or show up on my dash that it needs to be reset? I heard some say just put black tape over the amber light, but that looks stupid. Also I have to press the button every time I get in and start the car. Any input would help plz......thank you

Remy

Reaction score
Odds are who ever had the car before you didn't want to pay the (about) $80 per Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor (TPMS). Plus whatever their dealer would charge to install them. A regular valve stem without the sensor is a few bucks. I would swing by your closest dealer, ask them to relearn your tire sensor locations. If there are just regular stems in there with out the sensor, they will let you know. I doubt they'll charge you anything to do that, at least we wouldn't at the dealer I'm at.

Brit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2009 does the same thing. On the gauge it says FR when it actually means BR... i dont know how the sensor got messed up.. just started doing it.

Tuner923

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 09 Cobalt LT and I have tried 3 times to reset the freakin tire pressure monitor on the dash. Yes I followed the steps! Who ever had the car before me, replaced the front tires and on one of them has a longer wheel stem. Would that make a difference? I'm sure they wouldn't just leave it unhooked, but who knows. I found out the prices to have the dealer look at it and my thought is that this isn't worth the trouble and money. Is there a way to turn off that function so it won't blink or show up on my dash that it needs to be reset? I heard some say just put black tape over the amber light, but that looks stupid. Also I have to press the button every time I get in and start the car. Any input would help plz......thank you

no, there is no way to turn off the function. It is mandated by law that vehicles manufactured after 2007 be equipped with tire pressure monitors. Also because it is OEM safety system in some states will fail state safety inspections. There is nothing to leave "unhooked" the tpms is a self-contained sender unit mounted inside the tire on the rim that transmits signals wireless. The batteries may be dead or the former owner didn't have a tpms installed when the tire was changed. sometimes the process doesn't work to relearn the sensors. The dealer is the best bet..

---------- Post added at 11:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 PM ----------

My 2009 does the same thing. On the gauge it says FR when it actually means BR... i dont know how the sensor got messed up.. just started doing it.

rotated your tires ever?

cobalt123

Platinum Member
Reaction score
i hate those sensors. i simply deactivated them in my mazda. took the sensors and wireing out

bluebaltz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
imma bump this old-ass thread, cause i haz a story to tell...

every other time i get the tires rotated, they fail to reset the monitor location. pisses me off...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmaurais