Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor

LSCobalt

Reaction score
I was driving my 09 LS to the sandwich shop yesterday and the tire icon came on. There was a message displayed - Tire Service Monitor - so I checked the tire pressures. The left front and right front both displayed 30 PSI. The left rear also displayed 30 PSI. The right rear displayed two dashes. I parked the car and checked the right rear tire with a gauge. I saw 30 PSI. I'm guessing the TPMS for the right rear tire has died.

I looked at these sensors when I replaced damaged tires. I remember they are black and the number 315 was stamped on them. I checked Rock Auto and the Standard Products and the Schrader sensors look like the ones I remember seeing. The Standard sensor states that it doesn't need programming, just relearning. I don't want to buy a sensor that needs reprogramming (cloning) because I don't want to buy the scanning tool.

Can anybody tell me what TPMS they replaced the originals with?

Thank you

five7man

Reaction score
If you replace and TPMS sensor you will need to relearn it to the vehicle.
It can be done without any special tools by lowering the tire pressure.
The following is the service procedure to do so.

Alternate Keyless Entry Transmitter or DIC Learn Enable Method
  1. Ignition ON, initiate the TPM Learn Mode using one of the following procedures:
    • On vehicles equipped with keyless entry, simultaneously press the keyless entry transmitters lock and unlock buttons until a double horn chirp sounds indicating the Learn Mode has been enabled. The left front turn signal will also be illuminated.
    • On vehicles not equipped with keyless entry, press and release the driver information center (DIC) INFO button until the TIRE LEARN message appears on the DIC display. Press and hold the SET/RESET button until a double horn chirp sounds indicating the Learn Mode has been enabled. The left front turn signal will also be illuminated.
  2. Starting with the left front tire, learn the tire pressure using one of the following methods:
    • Hold the antenna of the EL-46079/J-46079 aimed upward against the tire sidewall close to the wheel rim at the valve stem location. Press and release the activate button and wait for a horn chirp. Once the horn chirp has sounded, the sensor information is learned and the turn signal in the next location to be learned will illuminate.

Caution: Over inflating tires may cause personal injury or damage to the tires and wheels. When increasing tire pressure do not exceed the maximum inflation pressure as noted on the tire sidewall.
    • Increase/decrease the tire pressure for 8–10 seconds then wait for a horn chirp. The horn chirp may occur before or up to 30 seconds after the 8–10 second pressure increase/decrease time period has been reached. Once the horn chirp has sounded, the sensor information is learned and the turn signal in the next location to be learned will illuminate.
  3. After the horn chirp has sounded and the right front turn signal is illuminated, repeat step 2 for the remaining 3 sensors in the following order:
    1. Right front
    2. Right rear
    3. Left rear
  4. When the left rear sensor has been learned and a double horn chirp has sounded, the learn process is complete and the RCDLR exits the learn mode.
  5. Ignition OFF, adjust all tires to the recommended pressures

mjb

Reaction score
I've had them replaced at the tire store ($60). Guy there said that it is an awful design and they fail all the time. Sure enough, within 2 weeks, one of my sensors was failing and now only 1 works reliably. I just ignore them. However, I really wished they worked so if you find a cheap and easy way to replace these yourself, please let us know!

five7man

Reaction score
The thing that usually fails a TPMS sensor is the internal battery.
They only have a service life of a few years if you drive the vehicle on a regular basis.
The batteries are non serviceable.

mjb

Reaction score
Yeah, tire guy told me that there is a new system in development that works by measuring tire speed or something.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kpcasperson