Transaxle bearings?? Loud roar

Garett

Reaction score
Hey I'm new to the fourm and I'll be honest I only work on my car when I have to and don't enjoy it much so I probably won't be able to contribute much knowledge, but I'm hoping for some help. I'll also state that I have done a lot of searching and bought the Haynes manual but haven't found what I'm looking for, anyways if your still with me here's my problem.

I'm getting a loud roar in the front end Im nearly positive it's bearings kind of a grinding noise. It has none of the typical wheel bearing symptoms, changed tires, and no clicking from cv joints. I jacked the car up and where the axles go into the transmission theres a bit of play enough that i can get them to knock pretty good and it looks like there's a seal leaking on one side, I also put it in gear and spun the wheels and it sounds like this is where the noise is coming from.

So my question is are there bearings there that can be replaced or am I better off just getting a used transaxle and swapping them out. Other then the noise I'm having no shifting issues or such.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome! I presume you've got a 5 speed? Have you checked the transmission fluid level?

Garett

Reaction score
Hey sorry it's a 2005 2.2 automatic and Yeah fluid level is good. Thanks

Garett

Reaction score
Where this guys hand is, if I grab it there I can move it in and out not significantly but a good deal when we're talking play in terms of bearings and what not. I don't know if there is normally a small amount of play there or not.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 11

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There's a normal amount of in and out play between the axle and transmission. Up and down movement would be worrisome.

Garett

Reaction score
Yeah there's also up and down so is there bearings there that can be replace or should I justs swap out the transmission

bockwoldt

Reaction score
It sounds like your hub assembly. I had the same thing happen on my 2008 LT. Living in Chicago with a lot of snow and salt, the moisture got into the bearings and they started to go. You can find them on eBay for about $70 each. I replaced both at the same time.

It's a fairly easy job. Pull off the tire and the hub assembly. Here is a video on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbjQz0gBRE0

kissflower89

Reaction score
Chevy Cobalt LT 2008

I am Having the same Issue Chevy Cobalt LT 2008 ,did you change the transmission ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmaurais