Transmission Slipping?

DJ-rb

Reaction score
Hello! I have a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt 2LT, 2.2L Engine.. not sure exactly which transmission but here is what happened...

This part may be irrelevant or may not..but I gave a lady in a Cadillac a Jump Start, and about an hour later I began noticing the following issue... maybe completely coincidental but worth mentioning I suppose

From a complete stop, when you push the accellerator down the car moves forward slightly much as if you just took your foot off the brake when the car is in drive, then after about 5 seconds it will find what sounds like second gear, then it seems to be ok... drive, decelerate, repeat, lol.

I have seen no evidence of a fluid leak..and the Transmission fluid was last changed at 50k, ironically was about to do it again.... at 117k but evidently the car has other plans :challenge:

Can anyone provide any insight on if this is repairable? Car is 100% paid for so if it's a repair that could see even 25,000 more miles that would work just fine

EDIT #2 Checked belt & throttle body... belt isn't torn or anything but looks like it might be about that time... could a slipping belt cause this?
Cleaned Throttle body as it had some carbon built up around it

Seem's like it drives a little better...still does the hi rev thing on take off a bit...noticed some pretty firm shifting. not violent or anything.....
Any more ideas?? :)

EDIT #3 The Only Recent routine maintenance was radiator drain & fill and brakes and brake fluid change.... just in case that helps anyone... not suggesting it would cause this...(or ruling it out) just trying to lay all the info out..

Last edited:

BankDude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does your car rev up but not go anywhere and suddenly grab? If not, not your tranny. Could be your throttle body or your battery also. Maybe the alternator. Hard to tell without actually seeing the car

DJ-rb

Reaction score
Does your car rev up but not go anywhere and suddenly grab? If not, not your tranny. Could be your throttle body or your battery also. Maybe the alternator. Hard to tell without actually seeing the car

Did you mean to say if so..not your tranny?

If so..haha then yes...
That is exactly what it does tho... it acts like its not going anywhere then, I dont know if I would use sputters or shudders...but it just sort of lightly begins to accelerate up to where it would normally be but it does rev round 3000-4000 upon take off...

sounds like its worth mentioning that it rained about an inch yesterday and I was having to drive in it...lots of puddles, lots of splashing, belt squeaked about 8 times... (hey maybe it slipped gotta check that and get back to ya) but there were certainly lots of chances for something to get wet that has no business being wet...

Is this getting cheaper or more expensive? lol...

BankDude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Belt slip wouldn't matter. Belt just allows all of the other pulleys to do their designated jobs. And on a 2.2, the only things it would affect are the alternator and ac pulley. You can drive a car without a belt on normally... For less than a minute. Rain wouldn't matter either. So your car gets up to about 3k rpms before it finally moves? Any check engine lights?

DJ-rb

Reaction score
Belt slip wouldn't matter. Belt just allows all of the other pulleys to do their designated jobs. And on a 2.2, the only things it would affect are the alternator and ac pulley. You can drive a car without a belt on normally... For less than a minute. Rain wouldn't matter either. So your car gets up to about 3k rpms before it finally moves? Any check engine lights?

Yea.. I actually recorded a video of it,

Pretty much, say from take off at a red light you will push the pedal to go, and it will respond, but its verrry light acceleration and it goes up to about 2500 RPM and then will shift but it holds the shift way too long in my opinion and its sorta soft on acceleration when it does shift... tempted as I may be I don't like to try to write out car sounds...so maybe this video will help.
Dash Cam View
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhUcIqdqIT8
Instrument Panel View
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVtQJzm_vR0

Last edited:

BankDude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fill up on what the sticker in your gas tank tells you to... otherwise you can potentially hurt other parts of the car do to KR depending on octane you put in. put it up, and we'll see

DJ-rb

Reaction score
Those Videos are up.... by the way I had it backed in to a parking spot on a slight incline and it could barely go forward, even pushing the gas it was trying to go but gravity was making it roll backwards :(:think:

BankDude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UN bolt the negative cable on the battery for 30 mins. See if that works

DJ-rb

Reaction score
Unfortunately disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes didn't seem to do a whole lot...I did have CEL thats now gone, hasn't come back yet...couldn't pull it because Garmin EcoRoute HD's are Crap (wont connect right over bluetooth) and Local AutoParts stores temporarily don't pull them because some idiot sued one of them for something related to a CEL
It does seem to be a bit better...but its still "soft" on acceleration. Does fine on the interstate,

Had no other option but to drive it 160 miles round trip to get my grandmothers car to drive for a few days, upon getting back it seemed a bit better, by no means cured, but better.... it has finally stopped raining so if it was anything water related it should be drying up... who knows... I am gonna take it to be inspected tomorrow... will gladly try any suggestions anyone might have.

If it was a computer related issue, should the battery trick have sorted that out or could it still take a few drive cycles to clear up any troubles that may have been jump start related?

Just FYI the Lady who's Cadillac I jump started experienced "Engine Power Reduced" and ABS and Traction Warning Lights and said her power steering was funny feeling thats what led me to believe it was related, for the record I did NOT connect the batteries directly (red/red black/black) My Car was Positive on the little terminal under the hood and grounded on the bolt of the shock tower, had hers the same way....always do it that way and never had any troubles but dang...it was raining during this process so the area under the hood did get rained on, again leading me to believe it could be an electrical problem due to water being where it shouldn't or possibly a side effect of the jumpstart with hers experiencing issues as well..

Thanks again for all the help BankDude since you seem to be the only one here....

Last edited:

BankDude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yessir. Get that cel checked once it pops up again.that's gonna make it a lot easier to diagnose

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kpcasperson