Turn Signal Issues

invader

Reaction score
I have a 2007 Cobalt LS with about 126K miles. So far all I've ever had to change besides fluids is the alternator. Probably around 80K miles the turn signal would no longer auto-cancel. No big deal....just stick out my finger a bit to pop it back in to place at the end of turn and it's off.

Today at lunch it started clicking as if it were trying to cancel when I turn the wheel but the blinker was not on [turning in a parking lot and drive thru - not illegal turning - lol]. Since then the left signal position does not want to stay down. The right works fine [so far]. Neither auto-cancel even though they now sound like they are trying to. Some left turns require me to now push the signal down a few times before it sticks on.

I do most work on my cars myself but the bulk of my experience is with classic american cars [BOP stuff]. What do I need to change out? I've read to change the signal switch but also about these little cam things that can come disconnected or break off. Looking for some guidance as I don't want to buy more parts than I need or tear down more than I need to. Thanks!

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I had my turn signal stalk replaced under warranty for the auto cancel issue, unsure exactly what they replaced. Think it was just the stick. If you open up the column it should be rather apparent.

Mine broke because I was holding it against the auto cancel and it stripped the part that does the canceling.

bluebaltz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on my ford ranger, i took the molding off & looked around to find a wire clip had broken. while i was in there, i put in a new multifunction switch (ford part name lol)...

i like using either a1auto or rockauto for parts like that. and i'm expecting to have to work on my signal switch before long as well, so i'm subscribed :D (sometimes it doesn't signal to the right)

invader

Reaction score
I'm planning to tear it all down this weekend and see if I can find some broke stuff. It'll be great fun in the Texas heat! So I added this smiley cus it's just as ridiculous as the puddles of sweat in my floor board after all of this

:GetMoney:

bluebaltz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
understood. i'm just north of you. yesterday i thought i was gonna pass the f out mowing a couple lawns lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buttonsup

Latest posts