Upgrading the powers steering.

biggiesize

Reaction score
Im all for the recall on the Cobalt power steering.It has been a long time coming,but the question that I cant seem to find an answer too is this:How will GM improve on the new powers steering motor?A recall is great,but if they dont improve the P.O.S electric motor on the steering column,this problem will happen over and over again.ALL electric parts eventually wear out and I can see how any fix would be permenant unless they change it out to the old tried and proven power steering pump.It just seems like a band-aid on an artery wound to recall all these cars only to put the same failing part on them for another 20-30,000 miles.

cobalt123

Platinum Member
Reaction score
they are gonna just replace it(rather than take the time and fix the problem and install something different) the cobalt is dead so they according to federal law must manufacture parts for an additional 10 years to cover broken crap. they will just keep replacing the part, its cheaper. if it was a problem with the cruze youd betcha they would go back to the drawing board.

biggiesize

Reaction score
So under the recall,I could get it replaced over and over again,no matter how many times it fails?I am afraid that it would end up being that way since I dont think they would do a re-design.People have had a new one go out only 5,000 miles after it was replaced under warranty.This new electronic steering mess is a joke.Sure it saves you 3 or 4 MPG,but look at the gas you spend over time driving to get these P.O.S. steering coulmns fixed.

cobalt123

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well yes but under some states lemon laws after the 3rd time they must replace the whole car

Robinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think if a recall has been identified then the lemon law is nullified because they have a solution in place. I'm not sure tho.

cobalt123

Platinum Member
Reaction score
I thought that but the solution is to replace he part with another part that has a design flaw I think after so many changes they gotta know that the probability of it failing next time is too high and it would be cheAper after parts and labor to just replace the car

Robinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the timeframe for california, and if its like that anywhere else most are s.o.l. when it comes to the lemon law.

A special provision, often called the "Lemon Law," helps determine what is a reasonable number of repair attempts for problems that substantially impair the use, value, or safety of the vehicle. The "Lemon Law" applies to these problems if they arise during the first 18 months after the consumer received delivery of the vehicle or within the first 18,000 miles on the odometer, whichever occurs first.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LokiPMustDie