What Is Torque?

wardzach2007

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Q & A

Q: What Is Torque?

I know horsepower relates to how powerful a car is versus another, but what is torque? Why is it different than horsepower? Should I consider torque numbers when researching new cars? Is it more important for different types of vehicles?

A: As you know, an engine’s output is rated in horsepower and torque. Torque is pulling power, and it’s best demonstrated as the grunt that gets you moving, while horsepower is what keeps you going.

Without sounding like your high-school physics teacher, torque is the twisting force created in an engine by rotating parts; horsepower is the measurement of how fast torque is being used. Horsepower and torque work hand-in-hand, as horsepower is calculated from torque.

For the average buyer, torque shouldn’t be a deciding factor unless you know you’ll be towing or hauling heavy loads. And that’s where high-torque vehicles will thrive, driving while towing a trailer or maxing out cargo capacity. It will be easier to accelerate and sustain speed with a high-torque car in any situation, but especially with heavy loads.

High-performance cars can also produce gobs of torque that greatly aid in acceleration. That feeling of your eyeballs being sucked into the back of your head in a fast car during heavy right-foot pounding is an example of excessive torque.

outtamymind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
speaking of towing i've got something really funny to show you guys. let me look it up

---------- Post added at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 PM ----------

can't right now, GM's service website is messed up right now

Jn2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I towed a grand am with mine :p moved it 4miles...got to say...blower was working overtime :p was in boost anytime I wanted to accelarate...I tough my torsion beam was gunna snap when I started pulling...

---------- Post added at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 PM ----------

S I know that's a bad spot, but had no choice :(

rockSTAR_SS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can shorten that answer up for you Zach.

"Horsepower sells cars. Torque wins races."

rockSTAR_SS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:lol: good one!

Nice write up tho Zach! Keep 'em comin man!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LokiPMustDie