Wheel / tire Question

Jhop16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm having an issue understanding all the numbers that come with buying a set of wheels....

I'm buying a set of 15x8 Crager Wheels for my dads 4x4 dakota.... the wheels have a 4 inch offset aswell...

My Q is, what does the offset mean, and what size tires fit an 8inch wide rim?

Hailcesar75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure but the offset had nothing to do with the tire. I think. I mean where would that number be on a tire?

dman090

Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm having an issue understanding all the numbers that come with buying a set of wheels....

I'm buying a set of 15x8 Crager Wheels for my dads 4x4 dakota.... the wheels have a 4 inch offset aswell...

My Q is, what does the offset mean, and what size tires fit an 8inch wide rim?

if im not mistaken, offset is how far the lug holes are "off set" from the center of the rim. but i have never seen offset measured in inches, its usually measured in MM

DaveBlank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Offset & Backspace

The rim backspace is the distance from the back edge of the rim to the hub mounting surface. To determine the rim backspace:
- Position the rim face down.
- Lay a straight-edge across the back of the rim. Measure the distance from the straight-edge to the rim's hub mounting surface.
The rim offset is the distance from its hub mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel.
To determine rim offset:
- Position the rim on a flat surface and measure its overall width.
- Divide the overall width by two, then subtract this result from the backspace value.

Offset = Backspace - (Rim Width / 2)

The offset of a rim can be one of three settings:
Zero offset:
The hub mounting surface is even with the centerline of the rim.
Positive offset:
The hub mounting surface is toward the front or wheel side of the wheel. Positive offset wheels are generally found on front-wheel drive cars.
Negative offset:
The hub mounting surface is toward the back or brake side of the wheel's centerline. "Deep dish" wheels are typically negative offset.

i dunno if this helps or not.

Jhop16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ne idea how to find out? cuz i wanna buy a set for them but i dont want to spend 300 or 400 dollars on tires im not sure about haha

DaveBlank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i cant find anything right off, but im leaning more towards the 255 size. whoever you buy the tires from should know what they will fit.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
1010tires.com has a calculator to help you out with this. Just plug in values for it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LokiPMustDie