Why does my cobalt sound like an airplane?

bittiez

Reaction score
Its kind of hard to explain the sound, so i recorded a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bdSOLV2kuM

You can hear it starting at about 40 seconds in.
What i know about the sound:

It seems to be coming from the front passenger side
It follows the speed(Faster I go, the louder it is)
Can't hear it much under 20mph
RPM's don't seem to affect it at all

Any ideas? Listen to the whole video to get a better idea of the sound im talking about

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome Tad! Wow, I wasn't watching the video the first time and was just listening. Thought for sure it was a was prop plane ride along.

So speed dependant means it's between the road and your transmission.

What year, Model, motor, and mileage? Does it make the noise when you put it in neutral at speed?

If I had to guess I'd say a wheel bearing or a brake rotor that looks like this:
3rFmZji.jpg

Last edited:

bittiez

Reaction score
Its a 2009 lt with 62000 miles on it, I'll try putting it in neutral on my way to work tonight and get back to you, I didn't think of trying that, and I'll take a look at the rotors tomorrow if I get the time, thanks

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 12:52 AM ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 11:58 PM ----------

Update here, putting in neutral doesn't affect it, I'll check the rotors and brakes when I get a minute

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Another thing to do is to check the resistance in your wheel bearings. Lift the front end off the ground, transmission in neutral, spin both front wheels by hand, they should have about the same resistance. Does the car pull to the right?

bittiez

Reaction score
No it doesn't pull to the right, except if I floor it from a stop and that's still only for a second or two. I haven't had time to check the rotors or bearings yet sorry.

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome Tad! Wow, I wasn't watching the video the first time and was just listening. Thought for sure it was a was prop plane ride along.

So speed dependant means it's between the road and your transmission.

What year, Model, motor, and mileage? Does it make the noise when you put it in neutral at speed?

If I had to guess I'd say a wheel bearing or a brake rotor that looks like this:
3rFmZji.jpg

Wow Yellow, where did you get that pic? Man that rotor is toast!

bittiez

Reaction score
Well rotors are good, brakes are getting low but I doubt that would make this sound, I still haven't jacked the front up yet

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmaurais