wiring after market stereo

chaser1071

Reaction score
I have a 2008 cobalt with a pionerr audio system. I am trying to install a new receiver and was wondering if you need a special wiring harness for the amp and on star or will a regular wiring harness work

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you want to keep the door chimes and turn signal sound yes. Forget which one it is.

newfiedan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
harness

yes you will require a special harness for those and they are pricey unfortunately, you will probably need the GM13SR adapter from scoshe or the GMOS-100I from metra to wire the stereo, I think the metra one is more accurate though than the scoshe one for the wiring needed. I am going to warn you that they are on the pricey side for the metra adapter.

dman090

Platinum Member
Reaction score
yup the one that retains door chimes is over 100$ if i remember correctly, i personally love not having the chimes

Rmoore006

Reaction score
Harness

yup the one that retains door chimes is over 100$ if i remember correctly, i personally love not having the chimes

I am going to be installing a Pioneer AVH-4200DVD, and I really could care less about the door chimes also. Could I just buy a standard harness? Also, my Cobalt has the factory Pioneer system, and I am no going to be replacing the door speakers yet, does that make a difference on which harness I need to buy?

newfiedan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use a pac tr7 to bypass that annoying safety crap where with the brake and park brake wire. also you will need to use the more expensive harness as the amp runs off the can bus system so you are going to have to eat the cost of it. I have verified this on all 2010s, but not the 2008 models. Use the scoshe harness since its the cheaper option of the adapters. if you have steering wheel controls you can retain those as well with the metra aswc that thing works well and it easy to install. You can give the cheaper one a shot but if its like the 2010s you wont get any sound out of the speakers without the more expensive adapter.

The GRAFX Shop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i use a gmos lan 04 on my G5 GT . full sound system. tweets and sub .
i did stereo installs for a wile and anyone that cheaped out got just that for results.
airbag lights. and issues at the dealer with warrently since its a hack job with out the correct harness.

i look at it like this,. you pay close to $30,000 for a car whats another $120 to keep it wired correctly.

if you want to see results of even having things wired correctly as per tech sheets i have a video on utube called g5 power steering failure .. gauges going nuts things dinging and flashing and loss of power steering. a result of something wired to spec but still causeing an issue with the BCM .. it gets costly when you replace the power steering motor modual, BCM, and gauge cluster only to find out it was something else.. but hey thats life

there are people who dont mind going the cheap way. but my personal thoughts.. not for me

ZapFrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did my headunit install last night, Walmart sells the $80 scoshe? kit . I just used that, It worked fine. Theres 2 plugs coming out of the stock headunit, you only have to use 1 .

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmaurais