Worth it to switch to synthetic auto tranny fluid?

Sethareno

Reaction score
Hey guys! I just bought a 07 Cobalt LT coupe and am loving it! Just got a job that I'll be driving 140 miles a day so I'm looking to increase my mpg in any way I can! Is there a signifigant increase in mpg going from stock tranny fluid to a full synthetic? If it helps, the car has a 2.2L with about 40,300 miles. I'm definately going with the K&N air filter and full synthetic motor oil, just haven't got it done yet. Thanks in advance!

BankDude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
getting fully bolted on and a tune will give you the best gas mileage. changing your tranny fluid isn't gonna do much, if anything for you really. the thing with performance mods though, you get them and you WOULD save gas mileage, but you want to drive fast so that kills it. the thing is that the cheapest performance mod that i bought for my balt, was 219. think about how long it would take you to make up that 219 in gas by only making 1-2 miles every gallon, quite a while. the best mod you can do to save gas is the driver mod. don't speed, gradually accelerate and don't drive like an a-hole lol

Sethareno

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! In the short time I've had the car (only 4 days!) I've noticed that as long as I keep the rpm's under 2500 it gets great mileage! So anything above 80 on the interstate is no man's land for me! LOL

BankDude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
smooth shifts and gradual acceleration is key. i've put 1500 bucks into performance parts so far and my dash says i get 28.3 mpg...i drive like an asshole. but if i decide to drive nice, i can get the AVG reading to about 55 going 33-35 in 5th gear

Jmesl8er

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We already get great gas mileage, do what the rest of the guys said, don't drive it like its stolen

Cobalt Tom

Platinum Member
Reaction score
freeway driving i get 37+ mpg :D

but then again i can see single digits if i beat on it hard enough hahahaha...like yest during the cruise I probly got under 20mpg

octavian8a

Reaction score
Unfortunately, the best thing you could do is not get stuck in slow traffic. 10 mph is worse than 60mph, mileage wise.

UncleDave

Reaction score
Hey guys! I just bought a 07 Cobalt LT coupe and am loving it! Just got a job that I'll be driving 140 miles a day so I'm looking to increase my mpg in any way I can! Is there a signifigant increase in mpg going from stock tranny fluid to a full synthetic? If it helps, the car has a 2.2L with about 40,300 miles. I'm definately going with the K&N air filter and full synthetic motor oil, just haven't got it done yet. Thanks in advance!

Do you really want a K&N filter? I was looking into it. Makes the engine breath better, especially at High Altitude. I am at 8,000 Ft. It lets the engine breath better because of a more open weave. It may let more dirt into the engine and hasten wear.

Also check the physics. The computer has one purpose; to make the engine run at peak efficiency, max MPG. If the filter gets clogged by being dirty, it is sensed, and the engine is feed less fuel. You MPG will remain the same. Your performance will suffer.

Test me out on this one.

Uncle Dave

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmaurais