Would this lower my mpg?

Cobalt714

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so i just stuck an AEM cold air intake and a weld on n1 type muffler on my car and im seeing a big decrease in my mpg. before i would get about 25-28mpg on streets and now its 21-22ish im just wondering what could b the cause? and if i get rid of the muffler and stick the stock one back on would that help?

Thanks for your help

BankDude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the reason why is because your car isn't tuned for the mods you've added. if your car's computer knew that you added those by tuning it and compensating for those mods, your mpg's would probably be good. it might be the way you drive too. when i added my mods, my mpg's went down too, but that's because i started driving like an asshole haha

Cobalt714

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the reason why is because your car isn't tuned for the mods you've added. if your car's computer knew that you added those by tuning it and compensating for those mods, your mpg's would probably be good. it might be the way you drive too. when i added my mods, my mpg's went down too, but that's because i started driving like an asshole haha

yea i constantly drive like an asshole but i dont think its so bad that it would lower that much lol, so how much would a tune be and where can i get it done

BankDude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well that depends. are you planning on doing more work to your car? if so, a tune isn't worth it right now just for the fact that you're gonna have the same problem if you add more things to your car. are you an auto or a manual? i spent 225 on my tune. did it through TRIFECTA PERFORMANCE by vince. but i also did my tune after i installed EVERYTHING i could to bolt on to my car.

Cobalt714

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well that depends. are you planning on doing more work to your car? if so, a tune isn't worth it right now just for the fact that you're gonna have the same problem if you add more things to your car. are you an auto or a manual? i spent 225 on my tune. did it through TRIFECTA PERFORMANCE by vince. but i also did my tune after i installed EVERYTHING i could to bolt on to my car.

yea mines a stick shift, and whats the steps for a tune, do u do it at home or u take it to a place?

BankDude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could do either or. i got my tune sent to me via email and borrowed an obd2 cable from the company to upload it to the car's pcm. you CAN go to a place to tune it, but that will probably cost you more money. if you have questions about tuning. email vince at [email protected]

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's because you drive so you can hear the exhaust, mine went down too when I got an exhaust and intake. If you drive like you used to before you'll actually get better mpg.

Cobalt714

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it seems like my car reaches the rpm's faster then before, im trying to not drive like a total ass but itll b a long time till that habit drops lol

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lol I've been driving mine line an asshat since i had my 06 back in...06 :lol:
interestingman.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member