05 cobalt problems

will22578

Reaction score
My buddy has an 05 cobalt 2.2 and the engine went out at 103k. He bought and installed a 2.2 from an 07. He has the transmission also (auto) and the computer. I knew the computers were different so he picked it up. After the mechanic put the engine in, he has told my freind that he needs to rewire the whole car in order to make it run. I don't know if that is true or not. And finally what should our next step be.

Cliffs:
05 cobalt with 07 engine (both 2.2)
Have both transmissions and computers.
Mechanic says car must be rewired for new engine to work.

Help!!

Thanks in advance guys.

Jmesl8er

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My buddy has an 05 cobalt 2.2 and the engine went out at 103k. He bought and installed a 2.2 from an 07. He has the transmission also (auto) and the computer. I knew the computers were different so he picked it up. After the mechanic put the engine in, he has told my freind that he needs to rewire the whole car in order to make it run. I don't know if that is true or not. And finally what should our next step be.

Cliffs:
05 cobalt with 07 engine (both 2.2)
Have both transmissions and computers.
Mechanic says car must be rewired for new engine to work.

Help!!

Thanks in advance guys.

only difference might be SAI, but those were only on california cobalts, think mechanic is trying to pull one over on ya

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Actually I think the 07 has a cam position sensor that the 05 did not.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Betting the BCM isn't matched up with the ECU or something hell I dunno.

lilloon

Reaction score
07 DOES use a cam sensor, 05 does NOT. 07 has electric power steering, and therefore has no way to drive hydraulic power steering pump since the 07 cam is 1.5iin shorter, and doesnt have a hex pressed into the end of the intake cam to drive the hyd p/s pump.

will22578

Reaction score
Now they are saying its because the wiring harness from the 07 has too many connections and doesn't match up with the old harness from the car. But I am thinking one is the power steering pump as stated above and I haven't seen it so I can't say if there even is more than just that. Mostly it seems the mechanic is out of his expertise on this one.

Jmesl8er

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now they are saying its because the wiring harness from the 07 has too many connections and doesn't match up with the old harness from the car. But I am thinking one is the power steering pump as stated above and I haven't seen it so I can't say if there even is more than just that. Mostly it seems the mechanic is out of his expertise on this one.

This^^^

Cobalt Tom

Platinum Member
Reaction score
NO cobalt had hydraulic power steering...ever! The problem is the car used different ecu's and doesn't match up to the bcm or conections so it has to be rewired, same as if he installed an lnf or lsj into the car.

-posted via tapatalk

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
07 DOES use a cam sensor, 05 does NOT. 07 has electric power steering, and therefore has no way to drive hydraulic power steering pump since the 07 cam is 1.5iin shorter, and doesnt have a hex pressed into the end of the intake cam to drive the hyd p/s pump.

No....cobalts never had a hydraulic power steering pump. Since 05 they have had electric power steering....gtfo

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whitey75

Latest posts