2006 cobalt LS whine @ 30mph on up..what is this?

Schuey

Reaction score
Hello Everyone...

New member to these chevy forums.. im a regular over on my dodge forums for my dakota that ive had for yrs.. but this 2006 cobalt i got for my wife has had zero problems until yesterday and today i test drove the car and this has me baffled... so the problem is when you get up to and over 30mph theres a whine sound which sorta sounds like a weedeater motor coming from (which i think ) left side of car..it just started yesterday.. the cars had all of its maint done like normal minus a tranny clean since everyone ive spoken to says their good for 100k.. its NON-Supercharged just honestly a stock cobalt with all oem items on the LS trim..i checked tires to look for nails or obstructions and nothing nothing in the wheelwells that might be catching tire if i put car in neutral while driving the sound stays the same as long as im over 30mph lol i actually shut engine off and sound still went on.. ( dont try that at home ) ( country roads are great )

so if its not in engine its gotta be something with tires all tread on tires are excellent so its not like its down to bare treads.. and honestly never had a problem out of this car yet thankfully i have a factory warranty left but you can only hear the noise well with windows up and not down its loud with windows up but barely noticeable with them down .. sorta odd...

any ideas ?

Thanks !

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
no clue, gotta be somewhere between the rubber and the transmission....would have to hear it in person to figure it out. Where are you located? A fellow member might be able to help you out if they can ride in the car while its making the noise.

Another idea is to put the car up on jackstands securely and "drive" it up to 30. If it still does it try to locate the sound.

Schuey

Reaction score
hey thanks for replies it ended up being a drivers side wheel bearing/hub assembly..so thanks to extended warranty it got fixed for free..gotta love chevy dealerships they were quick getting me in and taking care of me but it might have something to do with the serv manager.. he was my old dodge serv. man. where i bought my dakota from be4 the dealership closed.. so i never knew where he went .. until today good honest guy plays by the book..here in Cincy...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KaiAnderso