2007 Cobalt won't start!!! HELP

tracylritter

Reaction score
My daughter (18) just bought her very first car herself 6 weeks ago. She bought a 2007 Cobalt 2.2L with 73K miles (I believe). 2 weeks ago she went to go start her car and NOTHING - a click - that was it. For the past 2 weeks we have had the battery checked twice, replaced the starter, replaced the ignition switch, checked all fuses and relays and had a mechanic come to the house and check everything as well. He confirmed that everything is how it should be. He also hooked up a diagnostic to the car and there were no codes - said that everything was working properly. Obviously not. NOTHING still.

Does anyone have any clue as to why the car won't run? It can be jumped from the starter and continues to run but once it is turned off - nothing. The mechanic that came to look at it said that it could be the shifter (not knowing what gear it is in).

My poor child has no money to get it towed anywhere and definitely can't afford to have a chop repair it. We are pretty good with repairing cars but we are at a loss as to what could be the problem. What's worse is she just made her first payment and she still can't enjoy her car. The dealership she bought it from is no help since she bought it "as is". We would LOVE for anyone to give us a clue. Please help. Thanks so much!

Bass_Waves

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Assuming its automatic. Tried to put in neutral.ans start it?. If all u are getting is a click, and you checked battery twice. check for a lose.ground

I sent this thru the Intranet™

tracylritter

Reaction score
Yes it is an automatic. Where would we check for a loose ground - sorry that may seem like a stupid question. Everything inside the car works, ie. radio, lights, etc. it just won't start. I believe we have tried to put it in neutral and start but it won't. Any help is appreciated.

GMCustomerService

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My daughter (18) just bought her very first car herself 6 weeks ago. She bought a 2007 Cobalt 2.2L with 73K miles (I believe). 2 weeks ago she went to go start her car and NOTHING - a click - that was it. For the past 2 weeks we have had the battery checked twice, replaced the starter, replaced the ignition switch, checked all fuses and relays and had a mechanic come to the house and check everything as well. He confirmed that everything is how it should be. He also hooked up a diagnostic to the car and there were no codes - said that everything was working properly. Obviously not. NOTHING still.

Does anyone have any clue as to why the car won't run? It can be jumped from the starter and continues to run but once it is turned off - nothing. The mechanic that came to look at it said that it could be the shifter (not knowing what gear it is in).

My poor child has no money to get it towed anywhere and definitely can't afford to have a chop repair it. We are pretty good with repairing cars but we are at a loss as to what could be the problem. What's worse is she just made her first payment and she still can't enjoy her car. The dealership she bought it from is no help since she bought it "as is". We would LOVE for anyone to give us a clue. Please help. Thanks so much!

Hi Tracylritter,

I apologize for the frustration your daughter is having with her vehicle. The Chevy dealer would be in the best position to diagnose the vehicle. Have you had the alternator checked? Unfortunately, because I'm not a mechanic, I'm unable to diagnose.

If you would like for me to check the warranty status of your vehicle, please private message me the last 8-digits of your VIN.

Vanessa
GM Customer Service

tracylritter

Reaction score
Unfortunately my daughter nor I can afford to have it towed to a dealership much less pay a dealership to diagnosi and fix it. I would appreciate it if you could check the warranty status but I am sure there is none. I will private message you. Also, We don't even know if any of the recall issues had been fixed on the car.

We are BEYOND disappointed, frustrated, pissed......

Bass_Waves

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is ur battery in the trunk or engine bay?. Usually when ur starter just clicks and wont crank it's a ground issue. What you can do is check the ground cable from battery to starter. Or throw an overlay on it. Just my. 02 cents

tracylritter

Reaction score
Battery is in the trunk. Don't mean to sound ignorant but what do you mean by "throw an overlay on it"? Not sure if we have checked the ground cable from battery to starter. Starting to loose track of everything we have done to try and get it running.

It does start if jumped at the starter and a mechanic that came and looked at it said that it sounds normal when running.

We are at a loss and overly frustrated. Thanks for your 2 cents - will try that out.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like a bad battery or main wire if it won't start on it's own but will if the starter is jumped. Does it start when jumped at the battery in the back or the jump point in the front?

Bass_Waves

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Overlay means run a new cable from (in you situation) battle ground to starter ground. Aswell as a power. But I think that's ok since you get a click. Not sure though best to run it. Easiest way I can think of is get some cable wire cheap like less than 20$ and run it from battery to starter solenoid thru outside. Thar way u don't need to take apart interior. Know what I mean?

tracylritter

Reaction score
@ YellowEye - No it will not start when we jump it from either the front or the back. We are going to check the battery one more time. We have had it checked at 2 different locations and were told it was good but now it appears it is leaking battery acid. It never seems to end.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LokiPMustDie