2008 Cobalt overheating

csheridan

Reaction score
Without knowing if the temp sensor is faulty (I'm assuming right now it's ok), and not knowing if there is a restriction in my radiator, it's leading me to step 21, the water pump.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Temp sensor looks like it's located in the thermostat housing. 2 prongs, a low reference and a "ECT Sensor Signal". I doubt it's that as well considering you have blown a head gasket from overheating.

Radiator restriction I would imagine is pretty straight forward. With engine warmed up, are both the inlet and outlet hoses about the same temperature?

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Though my steps for radiator restriction might also indicate dead water pump impeller.

If you felt like purchasing the gaskets, you can pull the coolant pipe off the back and run the motor for a short while from cold with the back of the water pump open. You can also check on the blades while it's open and off. There are metal and plastic impellers depending on the model of the water pump.

20121129_154653.jpg

meyle-water-pump-93181118.jpg

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well...That screams coolant not moving so that's progress. I'm leaning towards a blockage in your radiator then.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is just the upper pipe hard and the lower one still somewhat floppy?

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My thinking here is that if there's a blockage in your radiator then there will be high pressure in the top pipe and low pressure in the bottom pipe if the water pump is functioning.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
From what I have read some shops can test radiators. Might be worth a shot before throwing parts at it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
case310

Latest posts