2008 Cobalt Random Engine miss

Justin-PA

Reaction score
Hi folks...I am new to this board. I have a 2008 Cobalt LS, 2.2L, 5-speed manual transmission, with 170,000 miles on it (mostly highway miles by the previous original owner). About a week ago I started getting an occasional stumble while driving. At first it was just on the interstate with a warm engine and just cruising along, then it stated doing it even when cold and during acceleration too. Sometimes it just does it once...other times it does it 3-4 times within a minute.

There are no engine codes being thrown. The engine runs and sounds fine otherwise. Transmission is manual so I know its not a tranny issue. My gut tells me its a misfire, but I'd think there would be a code thrown for that?? I suppose other option could be a loose or corroded connector.

Any ideas here? Should I go ahead and change the plugs first and see if that helps? I hate throwing money at something I can't nail down.

Thanks for any help.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can pull the plugs and check the gap. But it probably needs new ones of you haven't changed them yet.

Justin-PA

Reaction score
So I changed the plugs and the problem didn't go away. Still no codes being thrown. Any thoughts what to do next?

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Clean the MAF out with MAF cleaner. Make sure to let it dry before plugging it back in.

Justin-PA

Reaction score
update....I cleaned the MAF sensor with MAF cleaner, and the throttle with throttle cleaner. Also put in a bottle of fuel injector cleaner. After that it stumbled once then ran fine for about 2 weeks. Then one day wife took car and commented it as missing BAD. I couldn't believe it but low and behold now it is missing again...randomly and still no codes.

I see in the other thread about checking the ground cable. I'll do that. Any other thoughts?

Sgwafng

Reaction score
My coil started to fail very similar to the symptoms you describe @120k, then one morning it was misfiring like crazy. I'd check coil for nice blue sparks.

Justin-PA

Reaction score
still no pending or stored codes. Is it possible for a coil to be bad without throwing any codes?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReynaldoPa

Latest posts