3.0 to 2.9

ff_drift_lol

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2.8 with 42's will run too lean and could possibly burn a cylinder or 4. you should get a wideband a/f gauge if you're going to mess with this stuff on your own. you should run around 11:1 WOT 11.5 at the leanest to be safe. interchangeable hubs do not require a puller.

1WhiteSSTC

Banned
Reaction score
nope 2.9 should be fine on 42's but more then likely 2.8 will not work... I only know of one person that is running ok on 42s and a 2.8 on lcn but I would not recomend that to anyone

The OP should maybe try the stage 2 tune(or custom?) with some 60's and a 2.7? I hear a 2.7 can be worth while with stage 2 and 60's......didn't stage 2 come with 60's? Or do u just not know my LSJ's lol?

Aikidoshadow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the cheapseats....
You can run a 2.8 on 42's (which are the STGII injector size). GET TUNED! You just have to adjust the PE tables in the tune to not dump into low 10s AFR at WOT. Elevation runs a factor into this, but I ran this setup in TN and in NM and that covers a good distance of driving in between.

The major problem you will run into with anything under the 3.06" pulley (STGII) to a 2.8 is that your intake temperatures will be too hot for a completely OEM setup and it will affect timing. Also the grade of gas you use will stack on the timing problems. For 2.8 and down, 60's, dual pass and secondary HE is really recommended. Meth is either or.

sundevil07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im just gonna go with a 2.9 and complete the exhaust, and get a cobra or e-p heat exchanger to finish cooling. Im not gonna try running a 2.8 on 42's because we have piss 91 octane out here. Ill finish it off with a trifecta tune, unless anyone knows of any REPUTABLE tuners in AZ.

Aikidoshadow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im just gonna go with a 2.9 and complete the exhaust, and get a cobra or e-p heat exchanger to finish cooling. Im not gonna try running a 2.8 on 42's because we have piss 91 octane out here. Ill finish it off with a trifecta tune, unless anyone knows of any REPUTABLE tuners in AZ.

Did you see my location? lol Same environment man. lmao It can be done.

If you can get on the shortbuss or sometimes on RLF Psychosteve is in the AZ area he does HP Tunes.

sundevil07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
some guys in texas had some misfire codes after he tuned them, and he blew up some guys engine. also theres a guy out here on 2.9 full exhaust and intake tuned by him and my buddy with a stage 1 balt says i pull on him harder than the stevo tuned guy.

sloancallaway

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well that could very well be bad tunes... but blowing up the motor can happen at the best of time, and is not always tune error... but with that being said if he has a bad rep, you are always safe going with trifecta, vince knows what he is doing, i cant say I have heard anything bad about him

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buttonsup