Advice about an engine swap?

scottfarcuz

Reaction score
My girlfriend has an 08 Cobalt that just turned 103k. The engine started knocking hard recently and I pulled the oil filter to find it full of aluminum.

Its still runs fine so I've nursed it to a few local shops that all want around 10hrs labor to do an engine swap. Should I try to find someone that doesn't want $75-$90 and hour or just bite the bullet?

I thought at one point about trying to do the engine swap myself. I am fairly mechanically inclined. Things like a timing chain, or clutch in one of my old trucks wouldn't scare me. Pulling the motor on anything front wheel drive just seems to get complicated.

A new motor sounds like it would cost me more than the car is worth. Where should I go to look for a used engine?

Any input on the topic would be appreciated

cobalt123

Platinum Member
Reaction score
A new motor sounds like it would cost me more than the car is worth.

this is a big question. if it financially feasible you might look into a newer vehicle.

scottfarcuz

Reaction score
She owes substantially more on the car than its worth......without a bad engine.

06RallySS

Reaction score
Dude, don't let it scare you, pulling a fwd motor/trans is not nearly as complicated as your thinking, I promise!!!

white balt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just incase you didn't know,
You can use g5 engines too.

[insert signature here]

scottfarcuz

Reaction score
Would a regular service manual (Haynes/Chiltons)be the only place I can go for more info on the process of swapping the engine?

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Would a regular service manual (Haynes/Chiltons)be the only place I can go for more info on the process of swapping the engine?

You could just replace the rod bearings and resurface/replace the crank. Quite a bit cheaper assuming that's your problem.

Tuner923

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you have any friends that work at a dealership see if they can print out the procedure from AllData

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buttonsup

Latest posts