cannot find cause of suspension noise!

Nathan

Reaction score
Hey everyone, recently bought a 2009 cobalt with 140,000 miles. It makes a clunking sound when hitting bumps and the sound is right at the wheel. I've had several mechanics try to find it, parts replaced are struts, control arms, and steering intermediate shaft, none of which have decreased the noise any. All mechanics say everything is tight. Also, the check engine light just came on with p0010, p0101, and p102 codes. Any ideas what could be causing the suspension noise? I really don't care to waste anymore money replacing parts if it isn't going to fix it. Also, thoughts on what could be causing all of those engine codes at the same time? I know my car couldn't have been the first one to have all those codes simultaneously. My mechanic says probably a broken wire or bad ground.

Last edited:

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Suspension noise is usually related to the swaybar components in my experience. Have you replaced the swaybar bushings?

For the codes it sometimes matters what motor. Is this the turbo or non-turbo trim? Probably a vacuum leak or dirty MAF.

roosterk0031

Full Access Member
Reaction score
YelloEye and myself have both had to replace the maf pigtail due to broken wires. I got a real slight stumble at highway speeds and an occasional CEL. Mine had some black tape around it I took it off and messed with them a bit and it ran better for a while. Mine's an 09 2.2.

I got the suspension noise as well, I need to try the middle sway bar bushing, just haven't got around to it. I have replaced the sway bar links and right control arm.

Nathan

Reaction score
The end links and bushings I recently ordered from eBay, just have to have them installed. It really can't be caused by much anything else, I had a lot of suspension parts already replaced. Mine is a 2009 with the 2.2 motor. The CEL has come on twice now, it shuts off again after about a day or two. My regular mechanic says it sounds like a broken wire or bad ground. It also just started making a loud squeaking noise over speed bumps, which I'm guessing is due to the bushings?

Last edited:

r3dn3ck

Reaction score
I just went through this. Mystery noise on jounce and rebound. Seemed to be coming from one or both front wheels. Ended up that the steering column had a loose connection. I'm not sure what specific part it was because I had a shop do the fix with a bunch of other work. The wrench said that there's a bit where the steering shaft connects to another shaft and there's a locking bolt on it that had worked loose. Once that was tightened the worst of the suspension noises went away. My front bushings were also completely shot and replaced beforehand and replacing those only fixed some of the front end noise. I'd also replaced my front struts, sway bar links and sway bar bushings before getting to the steering shaft thing so I'm pretty sure of what fixed what.

If you can't find the noise I'll betcha a silver dollar that you've got the same problem I had.

My car is a 09' SS Sedan.

Hope this helps. I don't get back here much but if OP needs to reach me it's ballisticxlr at gmail.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ah intermediate shaft to steering rack connection. Thanks for the tip on that one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KaiAnderso