Can't get deck to work.(Sorry, it's a long post)

NeedCobaltHelp

Reaction score
I just attempted to wire a deck in my cobalt.
I did every thing the manual said to do. Matched all the speakers even re-read color codes to make sure. When I put: red to red, yellow to yellow, and black to black, It would not turn on.
I re-read the manual and it said that if I don't have accessory for my ignition(guessing when u can turn the key in reverse motion and only the radio works) just put the Ignition switched wire(red) with both of the yellows. Well, when I did this, the deck would turn on but would not turn off. Plus audio would not work. Also, the dash would not show the milage and it had a red ! light on.
I'm unsure of what to do. Could I have the wrong wiring harness?

Thank you for whoever responds!

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Pretty sure you need to run your own ACC wire. I did in my '06 LT. As I recall the ACC in the harness is a pulse from the BCM and is useless to any aftermarket stereo.

NeedCobaltHelp

Reaction score
No clue wut a BCM is, and it's not rly my car it's a friends. I'm sure they dont want to have to make a acc wire. like i said, I think I might just have the wrong harness. But uh, monday, my local car audio shop is open. Were gonna drop by and ask how much it is for them to install it for us instead. Oh, fyi, we put the stock deck in for now. everything works fine. Just gata figure out how turn the deck of and have audio. Im hoping its the harness tho

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Remembering clearly now, I did have to run an acc wire. Otherwise you won't get the stereo to work. Just do it yourself installers are guessing just as much as you are.

blindbadboy

Reaction score
to make an acc wire its very simple all u need is an IN LINE fuse and some 16G wire and an fuse

step one cut the wire no longer then 6 to 12 inch's
step two strip the wire on both ends
step three take out the washer fuse
step four take the wire and wrap one of the ends around the fuse ( just around one of the metal things
step five put the fuse back in
step six attach the other end to the inline fuse
step seven run wire from the red wire of the radio to the in line fuse
step eight hide the wires and sit back and enoy

oh and make sure u use either black tape or shrink wrap to cover the exposed wire areas
for the in line fuse it should be at least an 15 fuse

kidd1406

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah sounds like you missed wired sumthing iv done steroes for along time. you also may just have the wrong harness bc i know the older models can use cheap 20 dollar ones but for instance my car is an 08 and in order for certain things to work such as lights/buttons on your steering column then you have to get a specific harness. you can keep trying to mess with the wires on ur current harness if anything try to run ur own wire to the fuse so that it will have power to shut on and off.

themeanmarine83

Reaction score
i just installed a new clarion HU in my 06 lt and it was super easy. i did have to run my own acc line. other wise, all my dings and lights work fine and i only paid $20 for my harness. i think the hardest part of the process was replacing the rear deck speakers.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Dings and chimes are in the dash in 2006. 2007 they came out of the driver speaker and made the proper harness more expensive.

I'm half n half on whether or not I had to install my own ACC line, as I did have one installed for my subs but I'm pretty sure I ran that one off the stereo and the stereo off one of the fuses.

NeedCobaltHelp

Reaction score
I'm going to go buy the proper wiring harness today. If that doesn't work. As for the Fuse method. I'm a little confused, wouldn't the radio only go on when i used my wipers.. And how would i wrap the wire around the fuse led and put the fuse back in, don't think it'd fit... I'm just really confused about this method heh..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buttonsup