do all 2009 LT's have this many problems

fdfstoscvy

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
I purchased a pre-owned cobalt last July and from that time I would have to say I have been in the shop more then on the road.
Now don't get me wrong I very much like the car but I can do with out all the problems.
Car had around 19700 when I purchased it by the time I got 20020 miles on it the problems started. First came the steering shaft that snapped. Then at 20090 came a problem with the airbag light that stayed on.Then at 21000 I noticed that the MPG I was getting was very bad only 16.06. My dealer told me the reason for this was the Ethanol in the gas. There quick way out of fixing the car.
Then at 22000 I noticed that I would get the smell of exhaust fumes in the car when I used the heater or defogger. Dealers quick fix heater and defogger are only to be used with the AC.
Then came the problem with all lights turning off and on when I would hit a bump in the road. Did not go back to the first dealer for I can only think they would say don't drive it at night then.
Now with all these problems and who knows what is next. I had to take it to another dealer to see if they could find the problem and here we go again another bandage on the problem of fumes inside car when using heater. But this time they told me it is not exhaust fumes. So what is it. There answer is one you need to sit down and read over again and the way they fixed it .
You do had an odd smell/odor coming from the heater.
So they drilled small holes in the heater case and installed deodorizer in. then sealed the holes.
In other word if we can't fix it we will make it smell good before it kills you.
They also told me i am getting 25 miles to the gallon. Ok where did they go to school . The car has a 13 gallon tank I get 209miles to a tank full so how do they get 25 MPG.
As for going to GM it is a waist of time for nothing is done you only get a case file number . I already have four and counting.
Lemon Law dose not apply due to it was pre-owned.

outtamymind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the steering column is fairly normal, not sure on the airbag light but they shouldn't let that one go cuz that is a huge safety concern. as for your mileage and the exhaust smell chances are you have an exhaust leak which would also cause your bad mileage.

cobalt123

Platinum Member
Reaction score
steering column is about average, there is a national voluntary recall by GM on power steering if you received a letter about it go get it fixed for free

SportLt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so far all my problems have been cosmetic such as the clear coat on one of my front rim pealing and the paint above the passenger door rubbing off..had those problems fixed. only other thing i have had problems with was my sunroof. which was broken on andoff since 08. i just got it fixed with the "new" button, also the radio display had a short in it where it wouldnt come on, had it fixed. im almost at 29k miles....its been a good lil car other than these problems

scotlcky13

Reaction score
I have a 2009, but don't even have 6500 miles on mine yet. I hope this is not somethings i have to look forward to based on your miles, then again if it is I figure it'll be around 2011/2012 and time to trade it in at that point regardless. Sorry to hear you got yourself a brand new Chevy lemon bro. Safe driving :D

cobalt123

Platinum Member
Reaction score
that does suck but on the other hand my 06 with 80k miles has none of those problems

fdfstoscvy

Reaction score
I found some of the bills that tell what was done so far .these may help orther trouble shot there problems . For the electrial problem they found a bulletin #PIC5073A that tell you to remove drivers seat & rocker panel & inspect splice #S361. But my car has no nention of S361 anywhere for this vehicle.

As for one of the times I had it back on the low fuel mileage they did the following Installed 88861802 cleaner 908800-bOPCK)
iNSTALLED 88861011 CLEANER (08800-bOPCKT)
FOUND CODE p0171 (system lean) follew diagnostic procedures in doc # 1975925 Checked all air intake componets & MAF sensor

ff_drift_lol

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that tsb was about the side airbags right? i'm pretty sure they deaded that. you're saying you ran out of gas? of course it'll throw a lean code lol

fdfstoscvy

Reaction score
The tsb is about all lights turning off/on after hitting bump in road.
Never ran out of gas came close but not out

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buttonsup