Gas Mileage Improvement?

MrLegit827

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a 2006 Cobalt LT Coupe 2.2 with an aftermarket short ram intake, headers, and an exhaust piece. This upcoming summer/fall I will be traveling to and from an academy 5 days a week. I'll be traveling a total of about 68 miles a day; 36mi to and then 36mi to back home.

According to the dash screen, my car MPG was at 25, now it's at about 28. I don't mean to beat the dead horse but I'm wondering if there are any ways/techniques to improve gas mileage for my cobalt? I've done my research online but everyone has a different opinion and idea so I'm asking you guys for your input. I've heard stories where people have gotten their MPG up into the high 30's.

I really hope to only have to fill my tank once a week; that's my goal but please help with suggestions!!!!!

Thank you!!

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What header do you have? Intake header and exhaust header?

A tune will help a lot, I was seeing 36 in my 2.2

MrLegit827

Reaction score
The headers I have are pacesetter. It wasn't an exact fit, so it had a nasty exhaust leak for months but now after taking it to a shop and having some welding and bending done to it, it's a lot better.

My air intake and exhaust piece are no name brands. Just generic ones that I bought from a small company that fit the car perfect. And by tune, you mean just a standard tune up might help?

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I mean having a performance shop modify the computer programming.

roosterk0031

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think the expense of a tune will ever be recovered with mpg gain. My fill today was over 40, running 45-50 psi in the tires, rarely go over 60 mph (gets 37 mpg at 70 mph), and use brakes as little as possible. 09 2.2 5 spd XFE.

Keep heater position in vent or vent/feet, just a couple clicks past that and the AC is running even when heat is on.

Accelerate briskly is better than taking forever to get up to speed but with out going over about 3,000 rpm. But not if you are going to have to brake because of it.

My 2010 Auto coast better in Neutral than in Drive so Neutral coast can extend the coast even farther. Neutral coast at 30 mph is about 100 mpg. I think I could get 40 mpg with the auto but haven't driven it enough to know for sure, it has had a couple 37 mpg half tanks. It does have LLR tires on it, and I have 2 LLR on my XFE. Not sure if the extra cost of LLR tires is really worth it.

Try driving for a tank/day like your brakes are metal on metal and you don't have the money to fix them. That's where the biggest gains come from, followed by limiting top speed to 55 or so.

MrLegit827

Reaction score
Thanks for the response, I usually have good driving habits but I'll make sure that I accelerate briskly as compared to letting it take its time to catch up to speed.

I keep my tires psi at about 35 so I'll be sure to fill them up a little more and to ease up on the brakes.

roosterk0031

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More open throttle is more efficient than making the engine work against a closed throttle plate, think of it as shifting with the right foot, push as hard as you can without making it downshift, let off at target RPM(somewhere between 2500 and 3000) to make it shift then reapply throttle as hard as possible without causing downshift and repeat.

Acceleration rate makes a difference but brakes or lack of the use is 5x more important.

I maybe over estimateding the 40 mpg I could get with my 2010 auto sedan, that would be ideal summer conditions when AC isn't needed. My best with my XFE in same condition is 45-46. Both of mine run about 2,000 rpm at 60 and I know they change the final drive ratio to lower RPM.

MrLegit827

Reaction score
Gotcha, I get about 55mph at 2000 RPM. I'm usually good with braking but i'll def keep the open/closed throttle idea in mind. I really wish I could get my 06 LT up to 40MPG; like I said I'm stuck at around 27 MPG

roosterk0031

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was thinking about it on way home today, reset your Average MPG daily or even trip, make a game out of it. I know after half a tank it's hard to change the MPG so get I get lazy. The MPG soar with a good coast early in a tank/reset.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buttonsup