gas octanes ls 2.2

cblt10

Reaction score
are there any advantages/disadvantages to using higher octane gas in an unmodified base ls 2.2? Do higher octanes mess with anything? Do they help anything?

YouDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Higher octane gas needs less compression to spontaneously ignite, therefore is a little bit more volatile then regular grade gas. If you raise the octane content of your gasoline too much (i.e. adding octane manually) the compression of the piston could ignite the gas before the spark plug goes off causing a knock- which we don't like. The gas you get at the local station shouldn't be too much for your 2.2. I JUST bought my 06 LS with the 2.2 and filled it with Supreme which I think was like a 91 octane rating and it ran fine with no problems. I did notice a very slight slight increase off the line but thats really it. There's no real noticeable difference. The only time you would really need to change your octane rating would be if the engine was knocking while using the recommended octane gas. I'm new to this site and I'm not a complete gear head but I do know my way around a car. If any of this is incorrect then someone feel free to correct me.

B-

06 Cobalt LS

06ion2coup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good try, but completely backwards, The higher the octane rating the more resistant to detonation it is....

"The octane rating of gasoline tells you how much the fuel can be compressed before it spontaneously ignites. When gas ignites by compression rather than because of the spark from the spark plug, it causes knocking in the engine. Knocking can damage an engine, so it is not something you want to have happening. Lower-octane gas (like "regular" 87-octane gasoline) can handle the least amount of compression before igniting."

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReynaldoPa

Latest posts