Gas/Water in Oil?

systemat1c

Reaction score
Hey all, I went to change the oil today with about 27% oil life left, and I pulled the oil cap off and noticed this.

15682545_10154170961038601_285363990_o.jpg

I probably should note that the outside temperatures have been ranging from -5 to -40 (with windchill) degrees F here where I'm at in Wisconsin for the past two weeks now, finally just warmed up yesterday.

But anyways, the oil had a strong gas smell (kind of like a jet ski exhaust) and was brown and pretty thin. Is this something I should be concerned about or would driving in extreme temperatures cause something like this?

I commute about 20 miles everyday to class and about 2 and a half hours north every other weekend. I don't seem to be losing any coolant at all. Still at the same level (maybe just a hair under) when I flushed it this summer. The car itself went through maybe half a quart of oil this oil change, which is probably about 4k miles, or whatever 27% is on the oil life.

The car itself is still running great, nothing has changed, only about 84k miles on it (2009 G5 GT). It has been having some troubles staying at operating temperature in this extreme cold while blasting the heat but I feel as if that's to be expected when the actual temperature is -20 degrees.

Any input would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks guys!

Last edited:

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Coolant level ok? That looks more like the milkshake you get with coolant and oil mixture.

Oil smelling like fuel can be normal depending on the percentage. Could always send off an oil sample to Blackstone Labs to get it tested.

roosterk0031

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen that a few times with my 09 with 190,000 miles, I think it due to the cold weather.

systemat1c

Reaction score
Coolant level is fine. Maybe .25-.5 inches lower in the reservoir than when I flushed it this summer.

And I'm happy to hear someone else has experienced this issue. I guess I'll just keep driving and monitoring it.

Thanks for the replies!

systemat1c

Reaction score
Found out the issue.

Thermostat was bad. It wasn't allowing my car to reach operating temperature so any condensation couldn't get burned off and the gas in oil can be explained from the car running extra rich to compensate for running cold. The car would rarely reach 180F before, now it runs a constant 190-200F.

Thanks for the input guys!

thogan3

Reaction score
Found out the issue.

Thermostat was bad. It wasn't allowing my car to reach operating temperature so any condensation couldn't get burned off and the gas in oil can be explained from the car running extra rich to compensate for running cold. The car would rarely reach 180F before, now it runs a constant 190-200F.

Thanks for the input guys!
My 2009 Cobalt runs at 180-183 since new.....heats ok....I live in mid Wisconsin, and suffered through that cold snap as well!

systemat1c

Reaction score
My 2009 Cobalt runs at 180-183 since new.....heats ok....I live in mid Wisconsin, and suffered through that cold snap as well!

Yeah I kinda live in two places in WI atm. Both south and middle. It was cold as hell in both for a little bit there!

When I bought the car around 45k miles it would run around 192F constantly and that's where it runs again. I read up that it's normal operating temperature for the car and the low fans don't even kick in until 220F which seems hot to me. GM obviously knows something I don't lol. My mechanic friend told me that is where my year of G5 should be at too so I guess I'll roll with it.

Definitely check out your thermostat if you're heat isn't hot even on the coldest days! With a good thermostat my car gives me hot heat even on the coldest days.

I replaced the thermostat when I did a coolant flush this summer with a cheap O'Reilly's thermostat and that was obviously a mistake lol. The cheap thermostat just had a rubber o-ring that sealed the inner plate when it was closed, and this new one has the same thing, but it's actually stamped into place so it won't pinch (what the old one did).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KaiAnderso