have a weird sound...

nixonthekat

Reaction score
Evening. I own a 06 Cobalt LT.

Recently I was at a drive thru and started turning my steering wheel and I heard this high pitched squeak coming from the front end of my car and it was only when I turned my steering wheel. or going really really slow on a turn, but normally when driving you cannot hear it even with the music off and the windows up. So I turned it back and fourth and it was making the same sound. When I got home and shut the car off and moved the steering wheel it was still doing (just quieter because the power steering was disengaged)

I'm not an experienced grease monkey but I think it's the CV Boot. It's leaked fluids from a tear and is now causing my axle to run dry of grease. I could be wrong tho..

video.

[YT]KEzsnhxuMBI[/YT]

Last edited:

nixonthekat

Reaction score
I got my girlfriend to turn the wheel and listening and watching, when she is turning you see the cv boot moving and it's coming near the front right wheel well. I will get it up on a hoist tho and get a professional to look at it

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can do it with a jack.

Can you shoot a video? Having the audio helps diagnose.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like a dry pivot point. Was the sound coming from the top or the bottom of the suspension?

If it was coming from a CV joint I world expect to hear it if the wheel was turned into lock as you drove forward.

Last edited:

nixonthekat

Reaction score
Sounds more bottom, i'll have to go out and take another look.

Thanks for the help so far :)

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There's a pivot point between the wheel hub and the lower control arm, might need greased.

nixonthekat

Reaction score
alright, Me and my girlfriend went on a round the block drive and recorded a video, it was doing it a bit as we were driving straight and just sounds awful. The sound is coming more from the font left side of the car at most from what I hear.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buttonsup