HID housing

Woolbright

Reaction score
I hope this is in the right section. I've been wanting to install HIDs to my car, but these housings are kind of confusing for me. I'm wondering what turns on when you turn the car on. I want the halogen part to be daytime running lights, but when the sensor to detects that there isn't enough sunlight and turns on the headlights I want the HIDs lens to come on. Is that how these are set up? Or do I need to get them programmedimage.jpg?

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Those are not HID compatible IIRC. Your car is setup to use the low beams as DRL, with some fancy worrying it's possible to make the highs do it but IMO not worth it.

emperorjj1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
retrofit an aftermarket set. lol well thats what im doing... or having done i should say bass waves is doing the work for me.

I think the problem that yellow eye is refering to doesnt have to do with the lights you have but more so the stock setup. On the cars where the lowbeam is the DRL you run into problems with HID's. now im not an expert im sure theres a way around that but that would be your number one concern if your car is like that.

With that being said any of the aftermarket lights like that have the dedicated high beam and dedicated low beam. In most cases the projector is the low beam and the halogen is the high beam. with the DRL being either the low beam or turn signal depending on the car

Woolbright

Reaction score
Yeah that's how I thought it was set up. I'd like the opposite. The halogen to be the DRL then the projectors come on at night and also have high beam with the projectors.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A relay harness fixes the DRL HID flicker issue present in 07+ Delta cars. I believe it's due to a low voltage being pushed when the DRL is on, I haven't measured it myself though.

The real problem is that off the shelf projector headlamps that I've seen are designed for halogen bulbs so you'll still be directing light everywhere of you put HIDs in them.

But on to the high beams as DRL issue. To accomplish this two options come to mind:
Either have a voltage sensing circuit that will shunt to the high beams when the lower voltage DRL comes on.
Or have a series of relays setup such that if the low beams are on and the parking lights are off it shunts power to high beams. If parking lights are on then it behaves normally. Flashing people might be an issue.

The final part, lows on with highs is easy. 2 diodes and a small capacitor does the job perfectly without the lows flicking off when making the switch.

Woolbright

Reaction score
Okay, considering that almost made no sense (based on my lack of background) where could I get that done?

emperorjj1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
installing them or getting them installed should be somewhat easy. doing the seperate DRL would be much more complicated

Bass_Waves

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take the DRL fuse and forget bout it lol.
Yes I'm doing emperor retros. His retros are hard to do. I'm porting out existing housings to match the projector. Tedious task . Very fragile. Broke it like 5 times . Jbweld fixes broken stuff.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KaiAnderso