Highbeam delay?

ben_g77

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm a newbie to Cobalts, I just traded in my '04 Mazda3 for a '09 LT coupe. One of the few complaints I have so far is the stock headlights on my Cabalt suck. The lowbeams are OK, but the highbeams don't seem much brighter, are aimed too low, and have a split-second delay which feels a lot longer going 55 around a curve. I know most of this is due to the low/highbeams coming from one bulb, unlike my Mazda that had seperate bulbs.

Is there a way to improve the highbeams (in particular, adjusting the height and sharpness of the cutoff) and get rid of the delay? I've seen projector style headlights on ebay that look like they use separate bulbs, but I'm wary of replacing the stock headlights with something cheap and problematic.

Help!

Intmd83r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can try getting silver star lights . aslo make sure you bulbs are in all the way . had a friend that on his cobalt he didnt twist the plastic ring on right and his light was pointing straight down

---------- Post added at 09:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 AM ----------

the ring was cock eyed and it made the light point down

ben_g77

Reaction score
Ok, Thanks. And the split second delay is normal and no way to fix it?

Intmd83r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont have stock headlights . i dont remember but with my projectors i have diffrent bulbs for highbeams . but my wifes car has a little delay with her headlights but it isnt much . its like blinking your eyes

ben_g77

Reaction score
Yeah it isn't a long delay, more annoying than anything.

Any recommendations on projectors? I've heard mixed reviews on the reliability of some of these aftermarkets headlights...

Intmd83r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got 3rd gen spyder projectors (black). i had water problem but it was a easy fix one of the rubber plugs was loose on both headlights and the 3 LED lights on the bottom were put in half fast and would work and then not work . its a little bulb with 3 metal wires and the wires would slip from the contact points but i fixed that . besides that i love the no other cobalts have them around here and it gives it a good look to the front . also love the halos on them . chill with the halos/parking and fogs on looks cool

emperorjj1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 1st gens were good until i pulled them apart. they used to leak bad but i got them to be not so bad (still leak but much much less)

also my 1st gens have by far worse low beam light. better high beam thou. id recommend HID lows if u go projector

ben_g77

Reaction score
Ok guys, thanks! I'm going to start by upgrading the H1's in the stock headlights and if that doesn't cut it, then I'll look at getting some 3rd gen projectors...no use spending $170 if you can spend $30.

If I do go with projectors though, should I stay away from Ebay? Is there a more reputable site that sells decent-quality products? Thanks again!

Intmd83r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got mine from autoanything.com . ya i was iffy bout spending $170 on headlights . butt i am glad i did . gives it a good look from the front . autoanything i think i spent $170 with free shipping . they have deals all the time you could end up getting them cheaper

cobalt123

Platinum Member
Reaction score
get the 4th gens with HIDs IIRC one of the gens would crack the lenses with halogen bulbs

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whitey75

Latest posts