Highbeam delay?

ben_g77

Reaction score
Ok I've decided to go with new HID projectors, but most of the ones I'm seeing, the HIDs are for low-beams only, and its the highbeams that I am more concerned with. Although the HIDs might be bright enough that I wouldn't need to use my highbeams, the projector lights' highbeams are going to be an improvement over the stock reflector lights anyway, right?

And please, someone help a newbie out and explain the difference between 1st gen, 2nd gen, etc. I'm still lost lol

emperorjj1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
some people have done dual hid or you can put hid in the high only if you want

Tuner923

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1st gen 2nd gen and 3rd gen are just different styles i'll see if i can find them

---------- Post added at 04:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:15 PM ----------

The old headlight and tail light thread was going out of date, and all the pictures are missing, so it's time for a new one. If anybody has a problem with me using a picture of their car as an example let me know and I'll take it down.

First of all, all cobalt head lights fit all cobalts and g5s

1st generation projectors
lp_ccbt05bb_5.jpg

lhpcob05tm.jpg

These use H1 bulbs for both the high and low beams

2nd Generation Projectors
4lhpcob05jmks.jpg

lp_ccbt05cb_ks.jpg

These use H7 bulbs for the low beams and H1 bulbs for the high beams

3rd Generation Projectors
2lhpcob05jmyd.jpg

lp_ccbt05cb_yd.jpg

These use H1 bulbs for the high and low beams

4th Generation Projectors
pics_003.jpg

ccob05phbc_dp.jpg

These use H7 bulbs for both the high and low beams.
These headlights are still emerging, so I'll put up some better pictures of them when I find some

Blacked out stockers
8892.jpg

On the stock lights, the 05-06s have amber turn signal reflectors. On the 07+, they're chrome. Also, if you have an 05-06, your parking lights are your DRLs. If you have an 07+ your headlights are your DRLs. So if you put hids in an 07+, pull the DRL fuse to avoid problems. To repeat myself because some of you out there on .net don't read through all of this, if you have an 05-06 Cobalt, your parking lights are your Daytime Running Lights. If you have an 07-10, your low beams are your daytime running lights. The type of headlight you have does not matter

If you get LED turn signal bulbs, a resistor such as these will be required. Switchback Leds are awesome too. They are white when driving, then switch to amber for the turn signals
100_1379.jpg

100_1380.jpg

I got mine on 3bspec.com. They are two types of them. Type 1 has it set up so when you turn your turn signals on, they flash between white and amber. Type two turns off the white and just flashes amber, then turns the white back on when you shut off the turn signal. Here's two videos as examples
Type 1
Type 2
Type 1 can be found on 3bspec.com here
Type 2 can be found on v-leds.com here
Both can be found on vleds but remember that 3bspec is one of our supporting vendors. You will need to buy these load resistors to keep them from hyperflashing.

The best head lights possible though, are retrofits. These are OEM projectors that are fittied in from BMWs, Acuras, G35s, etc. They cannot be picked up from a supporting vendor and I don't think they can be found on ebay. The average cost from a member on here is around $600+. The possibilities are endless here, which is why I won't go into too much detail with them. While not technically a supporting vendor, Mkulrey13 runs the site BUYHIDS.COM HID Lights HID Kits Xenon Headlights Kit HID Headlight Kits HID Conversion Light, where you can order retros that come with new headlight housing, retrofitted projectors already installed, and an hid kit already installed for $400, which is a hell of a deal if you ask me They are pictured below. Anyone with retrofits is invited to post pics of theirs here..

here's what the buyhids.com ones look like.
sl383175.jpg

sl383302.jpg

sl383304.jpg

Our fog lights use H11 Bulbs

2 door coupe led tails
ltcob05rledks.jpg

ledclearblack_large.jpg

ledchrome_large.jpg

These come in a variety of black/red/chrome mixes

yhst_15512592732631_2083_54181302.gif

These come in red too

jy_lt_cob052gled_tm.jpg

4 door sedan tails
ledt_351cb.jpg

ledt_351c.jpg

These come in a variety of black/red/chrome mixes

03_cob05tled4d_1.jpg

^^ These come in chrome too

To help clear up confusion that often pops up around here, the sedan tail lights are not the same as the G5 coupe tail lights, and are not interchangeable.

All of these lights can be found from various supporting members. eBay will be the cheapest place for all of these lights, but our vendors are the most reliable. The quality for these lights is the same no matter where you go, they all come from the same respective factory, as in all the 1st gens are made in the same spot, etc.

Vendors such as:
Modern Performance
PFYC
3Bspec
Cobalt-Addiction
Turbo Tech Racing
ZZP
all sell at least some of these lights. If any other vendors sell them let me know and I'll add them to the list, these are just the ones I know off the top of my head. all of these lights can easily be found on ebay

Here are some helpful how to's
How to paint your headlights
How to paint head lights with CLEAR corners (Missing pics)
LED 3rd Brake light
Method 1
Method 2
3rd brake light relocation retrofit
How to Tint Your lights
How to replace a burnt out halo
How to wire halos
3rd Gen anti glare mod(pictures are missing, but hopefully you'll get the idea)
How to swap to CCFL halos
How to remove + tint Sedan tails
How to make retrofit headlights
"Ultimate High Beam Mod"
How to remove your headlights
"Skyline Tail light mod"
How to change fog light bulbs
How-To: Replace a Burnt Out Halo Electrical How-To: Replace a Burnt Out Halo - Cobalt SS Network

Let me know if I missed something. Also, if anyone has a request for pics of certain lights on a certain color car, post it and I'll do my best to find one.

If anyone has any questions feel free to post them!

stole this

emperorjj1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
heres a pic of my 1st gens
parking_light.jpg

---------- Post added at 02:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:19 PM ----------

lol tuner beat me to it

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just wanna point out that stock headlamps take 9007 bulbs, not H1 bulbs.

ben_g77

Reaction score
Thanks for pointing that out, YellowEye, I realized my mistake when I got to Avance Auto. I'm returning the Silver Stars I bought there. Tested them out tonight and besides being a cleaner, whiter light, they don't really povide any better illumination for the highbeams. It's still a pretty low cut-off.

Thanks for the photos guys that helps a lot. I'm just wary about getting HIDs because I am def not a mechanically or electrically talented guy so I'm thinking I'm going to need to find a place that will install them for me, unless you guys think I should be ok doing it myself. I plan to install the taillights I just ordered myself but they seem pretty simple. I've never really mod'd a car before now, but with the Cobalt you kind of have to or it looks like crap lol.

---------- Post added at 09:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 PM ----------

These are the lights I want. I know you're all cringing because they're being sold on eBay, so if you know where else I can purchase a similar set (2nd gen, chrome, both hi&low HID) please let me know!

HI+LO HID 05-09 CHEVY COBALT CHROME PROJECTOR HEADLIGHT - eBay (item 150532125991 end time Jan-08-11 23:52:05 PST)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whitey75

Latest posts