How to change the Flywheel Starter Ring Gear 2.2

NiteOwl

Reaction score
Went to start my car, the starter made an awful grinding noise and did not seem to engage, it actually sounded like it was engaging and release over and over. Being mechanically minded I pulled the starter, opened it, cleaned the crap out and re-installed, hmm same problem.

Silly me I decided that a new starter was in order. $180 bucks later I had a starter, installed it and same thing. Crap!

After much searching I finally discovered that the "ring gear" on the flywheel was loose, so much so that I could turn it with a screw driver, periodically it would grab, (this was the sound I had originally hear).

So I need to replace the ring gear, BIG JOB, I know, but I am up for it, I wonder is anyone has any tips or experience? I can't find anything on the net.

-=Bob=-

Tuner923

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went to start my car, the starter made an awful grinding noise and did not seem to engage, it actually sounded like it was engaging and release over and over. Being mechanically minded I pulled the starter, opened it, cleaned the crap out and re-installed, hmm same problem.

Silly me I decided that a new starter was in order. $180 bucks later I had a starter, installed it and same thing. Crap!

After much searching I finally discovered that the "ring gear" on the flywheel was loose, so much so that I could turn it with a screw driver, periodically it would grab, (this was the sound I had originally hear).

So I need to replace the ring gear, BIG JOB, I know, but I am up for it, I wonder is anyone has any tips or experience? I can't find anything on the net.

-=Bob=-

knock the old ring gear off with a punch, heat the new ring gear in the oven 350-400 degrees for 45 mins put fly wheel in the freezer for 45 mins then take them out put them together let them reach room temp and bingo like it were welded. also i'm not sure on the cobalt but some cars the teeth are directional

---------- Post added at 04:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:27 PM ----------

this is considering that the ring gear seat is not messed up with scoring from spinning.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KaiAnderso