jumping out of reverse

10XFE

Reaction score
I have a 2010 Cobalt XFE with a 5 speed manual that jumps out of reverse. if I start the car (clutch disengaged) with the shifter is in the reverse position it will stay in reverse, otherwise it will jump out if I go from neutral to reverse. I have a suspicion the clutch is not disengaging all the way when clutch pedal is fully pressed. any suggestions on how to remedy the problem would be greatly appreciated. the car has 50K miles on it, the trans/fluid are all original.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like either the shifter isn't adjusted correctly or you managed to round off the reverse gear edges. How long has it been doing this?

10XFE

Reaction score
Sounds like either the shifter isn't adjusted correctly or you managed to round off the reverse gear edges. How long has it been doing this?
thank you for the prompt reply YelloEye. the reverse issue has occurred for roughly 2 weeks, if I physically hold the shifter in the reverse position it will stay in gear. I also noticed that gears 1 through 5 sometimes require a little more effort to engage during upshifts. there are no noticeable fluid leaks, & no creep with the clutch disengaged.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Should probably check your shift linkage mount on the transmission, could be loose or a cable could have popped out. It's the black mount with two bolts in it you can see in this picture.
58eb1d08c7b4c7e92670b1b97593d9a4.jpg

10XFE

Reaction score
again, YelloEye I appreciate your correspondence in helping me contend with this issue. I checked the shifter cable bracket as you recommended, it is firmly attached to the transmission, & the cable ends appear to be secure. I also checked under the cupholder, the cable & ends appear to be properly connected as well.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can change the fluid in the transmission, simple drain and fill till it comes out the upper hole procedure. There's two 8mm allen key bolts on the driver's side of the transmission, drain from the bottom, fill at the top. You'll want one of those fish tank cleaner tubes or a hose with funnel. Takes 2 quarts of fluid, make sure you get Dexron III ATF, not one that just says "Compatible with Dexron III".
graveltubeslide3.jpg

picture_php_pictureid_52246_c5bb4d730e99062f584f90631a73eb91db6b4a38.jpg

10XFE

Reaction score
I finally had a dry day here in the mid-atlantic to attempt a fluid change. the drain plug was a challenge to remove due to it's proximity to the frame; I ended up cutting the end off of a Harbor Freight 8MM allen-key & turning it with an 8MM wrench... the fluid was very dark, surprisingly no metal chunks/glitter were present. filled the trans back up with DEXRON 6 (per the manual), it took 1 qt. 24 oz before it began trickling out of fill plug.

post fluid change, the transmission seems to find the gears easier, moreover there is less resistance when shifting (although it is still has a bit of a "notchy" feel). most importantly, it appears to be holding while in reverse. YelloEye you have been a tremendous help in diagnosing my shifting woes, much thanks for your efforts, follow up, & especially pictures.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Great to hear! You did the same thing I did with an allen key to get that bolt out, it's not easy to get at normally.

I just try to help out where I can :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whitey75

Latest posts