Key Won't Turn-08 LT

Cosmonaut

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm having an issue with my ignition. I can't get the key to turn at all.
I realize that this is common when the battery drains but my battery is charged and I'm able to take the key in and out of the ignition.
So I did some reading and I found that disconnecting the battery for a while should reset any computer malfunctions or electrical issues.
I did this and let it set for about 30 minutes and I was still unable to turn the key.
Should I try again and let it sit longer? Or has anyone else had this issue and was able to resolve it?

Thanks

roosterk0031

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Generally when I can't turn the key at all it's the steering lock. Turn the steering wheel to unload it while trying the key. When I've had battery issues I can turn the key just can't turn it back all the way and get it out. (Impala & Cobalt)

Last edited:

GMCustomerService

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi cosmonaut,

We’re sorry to hear that you’re experiencing this concern with the key and ignition in your LT. We do understand that you’re seeking the opinions of other owners, however, if you would like an additional layer of assistance in reaching out to your dealership regarding this we would be glad to help. If you are interested, please send us your VIN, mileage, contact information and preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you.

Best,

Ashley R.
GM Customer Care

Hey all,

I'm having an issue with my ignition. I can't get the key to turn at all.
I realize that this is common when the battery drains but my battery is charged and I'm able to take the key in and out of the ignition.
So I did some reading and I found that disconnecting the battery for a while should reset any computer malfunctions or electrical issues.
I did this and let it set for about 30 minutes and I was still unable to turn the key.
Should I try again and let it sit longer? Or has anyone else had this issue and was able to resolve it?

Thanks

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Try turning steering wheel while turning key, shouldn't take much on the key side but your steering wheel lock might be engaged. Other option is that your ignition cyl is bad, there is a recall for that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whitey75

Latest posts