L61 cylinder head help

joe S

Reaction score
New purchase. Discovery found while installing timing tensioner. Help anyone? Easy fix or rebuilt head? Car is 2009 G5 base 2.2. Missing rocker arm on one valve. Cam lobe spinning freely notice the deposits on it

image.jpeg

Last edited:

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That looks like some really coked oil, yeah? Focus isn't real good so I can't tell if we're supposed to be looking at something else.

joe S

Reaction score
Possibly the car was not maintained well. Bought from a girl in her 20s that didn't look like she gave a crap about too many things. Got for very cheap though. The image is of a missing rocker arm on one of the intake valves.valve moves freely so not stuck. I will be fixing this weekend I consulted a mechanic at a Chevy dealership today because I couldn't get much info online. Ordered a new rocker arm and lash adjuster for $18. Will be here tomorrow. Install with Two small pry bars. Very simple.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ah yikes, I didn't even notice that. Is there one floating around under the cover or was it just discarded at some point because it was floating around? I hope it comes out alright. If it does need a rebuild, probably wouldn't be the worst thing for it.

joe S

Reaction score
Ah yikes, I didn't even notice that. Is there one floating around under the cover or was it just discarded at some point because it was floating around? I hope it comes out alright. If it does need a rebuild, probably wouldn't be the worst thing for it.

joe S

Reaction score
There is not one to be found under the valve cover I don't know the history of the car other than the lies I was told when I bought it that it has always been maintained properly which is false judging by the condition of the cylinder head. I do not know if the rocker arm was removed or it could be somewhere in the motor I wonder if anybody knows if they could have made its way down to the oil pan if it were to get over by the timing chain side of it I will have to look when I repair it to see if there is room for it to escape somewhere else in the motor. Believe it or not the car has a perfect Idle with the missing rocker arm

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There's no way an intact rocker arm could make it down into the oil pan. Might be sitting at the bottom of the timing cover though. I'd look into that. Also have a look at all your timing chain guides, the black one on the front of the motor has a habit of breaking off at the top and then sheering off the chain guide bolt. Shortly after it skips timing.

joe S

Reaction score
There's no way an intact rocker arm could make it down into the oil pan. Might be sitting at the bottom of the timing cover though. I'd look into that. Also have a look at all your timing chain guides, the black one on the front of the motor has a habit of breaking off at the top and then sheering off the chain guide bolt. Shortly after it skips timing.
There's no way an intact rocker arm could make it down into the oil pan. Might be sitting at the bottom of the timing cover though. I'd look into that. Also have a look at all your timing chain guides

Thanks for advice. I installed new tensioner with the updated version.seems to be well but I will remove lower cover this weekend and check guides and look for missing rocker. Do you know personally if I can install this new lifter and rocker arm without the special valve lash remover tool? Read online you can do it with a small pry bar and flat head screwdriver

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have not done one myself, but I think it can be done as you say.

joe S

Reaction score
update. I installed a new rocker arm and the motor has a lot more power the lifter was ticking for 5 min and then went away. I have yet to remove my timing chain cover lower and try to locate the old rocker which is probably broken but I do not hear it rattling around and I see no wear marks on the chain so it is not a priority whenever I get around to it. I finally found a new brake light for my rear they were difficult to find all the ones on the net for sale had the reverse light built into the assembly
I have not done one myself, but I think it can be done as you say.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LokiPMustDie