LS Cobalt Stock Stereo Replacement options

Maintenancemark

Reaction score
Hi and thank you for helping me out with this. I have an 06 LS Cobalt that I love. Recently I have decided the stock stereo needs an upgrade. I am reading a lot of conflicting crap. Single Din needs 200 $ adaptor duel din will work but only certain head units. I would be cool with a stock SS deck as long as it has an aux input . I found a deck for sale from a 2011 Impala I believe. Would that work in my Cobalt ? Thanking anyone with the knowlage in advance :)

Maintenancemark

Reaction score
Hello and thank you for the response. I have considered this, when search for stereos for cobalt. Units without the jack are 25 bucks all day long. With the jack suddenly they go up to 150. I can get an after market deck with back up camera for the same cash that will sound a whole lot better. However if I have read if I don't UST a duel din, I will lose all my info station and other stuff and I dont want to do that

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You won't lose anything regardless of what head unit you get. The 06 year had all the chimes separate from the stereo. The DIC is all handled between the BCM and the instrument cluster.

Unless you plan on some serious rewiring for a stock stereo, you have to stick with an 05-06 Cobalt/Ion/G5 stereo. Going to 07+ was a rather large change in how GM did the wiring for the stereo.

Any aftermarket headunit will work. And you can even use the cheap Metra harness that's like $12 with no penalty.

Maintenancemark

Reaction score
Hi so what you are saying any aftermarket dual din will work ? Does it have to be a dual din ? Sorry for the dumb questions I just don't quite get it

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can use literally any aftermarket head unit you want. Just make sure you get the correct dash kit for it. Crutchfield is great for that since they'll send you all the adapters and harnesses with the radio you purchase.

itsyourcaller

Reaction score
Help!!

So, I got really impatient, and did a direct rewire ( cut the wires in the 24 pin connector) on my 2005 Cobalt ls coupe.. Well, let’s just say. I F’ed up. Can someone help me do this thing. Please

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whitey75

Latest posts