mixing and matching

pitsnipe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dose any one know if the heads are interchangeable from engine to engine (ie LNF head on a LE5 or L61 and so on)? and how much boost can the LE5 take before failing? i know the LNF engine was reinforced to take the HP from the turbo. and if you were able to do the head swap what would the computer side be like, will the existing computer accept the different head and will the computer on the L61 work with a LE5 block and a LSJ or LNF head? i'm not planning any builds yet, (key word yet, the wifey is still really pissed about my ticket) i just wanted to know what could be done realistically (as much as i would like to put a LS9 in my cobalt i know that wont work), safely and with reliable results. i would like to make a LE5 with a LNF head and turbo (no replacement for displacement), but i don't want to wast my time and money on a build that is going to blow up on me at the end of the drive way.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No clue man, I'd definitely sleeve it and get upgraded rods and pistons. But other than that nobody has ever done it so we don't know.

pitsnipe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I figured that I would have to bore out the combustion chamber on the head to match the cylinder bore and the block I think would have to be machined. I came across something that mentioned that the LNF engine used a head gasket that fit in to a grove around the cylinder and combustion camber sort of like an o-ring, but not made of rubber. That would present another problem. If not then a premium head gasket should work, the LNF engine puts out around 20 psig with a 2.0L engine, I think the turbo out put pressure would be less with the 2.4L engine with the cylinders taking in more air with each intake stroke. I figured that no one here had tried it yet, I was just hoping to get any input on it. Like where to find detailed pictures of both engines with the heads off, or a GM mechanic who has worked on both and can tell the differences in both. Regardless of how complicated it may be, I think that would be a really powerful setup, when done right.

---------- Post added at 10:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 PM ----------

By the way YelloEye, what the hell is that red tab in the middle of your grill in the picture on the bottom of your post?

Aikidoshadow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The computers have kept anyone from successfully swapping heads from the VVT engines. The only real info I have seen from a head swap is from a hybrid LSJ/LE5 build. Their build included mating the LSJ head to the LE5 bottom end. They completed the actual head swap, but I never saw that they were able to get it tuned properly enough to drive the car reliably. They also mated the F35 to the LE5 bottom end, or at least attempted to.

pitsnipe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well what is different on the LE5 from the LNF bottom end for sensors? If you could get the LNF computer to take readings on the LE5 then it should work.

---------- Post added at 07:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:00 PM ----------

By the way thanks for the input on the mixing and matching stuff. I forgot to mention it in my last post. What I want to end up with is a direct injected turbo charged 2.4L engine, like GM should have done in the first place (before it is mentioned I know I will have to upgrade my tranny and suspension from the stock LS equipment), hence the LNF head (which is direct injected with sodium filled inconel valves like the top end Corvettes) and LE5 block or a stroked L61 block. I don't know if that would make my question on will it work any easier to answer.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KaiAnderso