Need help installing a headunit in an 08 cobalt

newfiedan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the car overall, mind you. The ecotec was the first decent move that gm made for some time engine wise. I drive a 96 mazda mx3 v6 but I do like a blacked out cobalt with a nice tasteful set of chrome rims. No bodykit or wing. Just found this off the cobalt SS site.

Is there another solution other then the pricy gm lan harnesses for 07+ vehicles?

Yes you can buy the regular harness that will plug in but you will loose your door chimes.
Metra = 70-2202
Scoshe =
American International =
Bluewave =

Jn2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cheapo harness=lose your chime when the door is open, keys are in the car, when u use your turn signals, pretty much everything yoru car would chime for

expensive harness= everything still works, chimes and all

this started in 07, in 07 they made the chimes from from the speakers vs the cluster i believe is where it comes from on mine

newfiedan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
from what I can tell from my research so far you don't loose the turn signals with the deck removed or cheapo harness just the door chimes and onstar capability which he does not have anyhow.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Easy enough to find out, pull the plug on the stock head unit and figure out what doesnt work any more.

dman090

Platinum Member
Reaction score
ok im pretty knowledgeable in this feild.... so heres my 2 cents..

you can get the cheap harness:Metra 70-2202
pretty much anything in the car that "dings" is gonna go bye bye, i am using this harness my self and i LOVE not having annoying door chimes or blinker noises :)

OR

you can retain all that chimes shit using the : Metra GMOS-LAN-03( not really worth it IMO)

then your gonna need a antenna adapter :Metra 40-CR10

and to answer the mix up

05-06 cobalts the door chimes were in the gauge cluster
07-present cobalts, the door chimes came through the speakers

need anything else, just ask :)

DaveBlank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I could live without my seat belt chime, forgot you keys chime, what about your lights chime...but i kinda listen for the turn signal...

dman090

Platinum Member
Reaction score
the lights chime? like if you leave your lights on when you turn the car off? it goes away too. every little "ding ding" goes away with the cehap metra harness

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Turn signal click too I assume. Would be wierd for me not hearin it lol

dman090

Platinum Member
Reaction score
yah the turn signal click gets lost too, i didnt like it at first, but i listen to my music so loud i dont realize its gone!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buttonsup