Need help tracking down a trunk rattle

ripvannwinkler

Reaction score
I installed a 12inch sub in my cobalt several months ago. Since then, I've spent an ungodly amount of hours tracking down rattles and vibrations. I've replaced both front and rear factory speakers, padded the rear deck and trunk lid / floor with sound absorbing material, rerouted / secured any lose wires I could find, and tightened all bolts.

When I listen to country, rock, or even pop, it sounds great. When I play songs with deep bass notes however (Usher's My Way, Nate Dogg's Regulate, Ludacris's How Low Can You Go, etc...), there is a distinct rattle coming from the upper right side of my trunk (seems to be right around the 6x9 on the right, maybe somewhere behind a body panel.

I've tried securing the back seat release switch cable, stuffing that air vent (with the rubber flaps) with a towel to prevent the flaps from rattling, and reseating both the speakers and the rear right tail light, but the rattle persists.

I cannot hear (as much) it when I have the seat folded down trying to look for the damn thing, but I can hear it pretty clearly when I stick my head under the trunk lid. I just can't pinpoint the source.

Has any one experienced this bad boy, and what else should I be looking at?

dman090

Platinum Member
Reaction score
its your rear deck, 9 times out of 10 when you pull it out you break the clips, causing the thing to bounce off the rear window. find a way to secure the thing down.

and also its probably the pushpins that go into the rear deck coming off the plastic corner pieces.. the piece around the rear windwp

ripvannwinkler

Reaction score
I put some closed cell weather strip down between the deck and the deck lid. That should keep it from vibrating against the deck, but maybe it's vibrating up against the window. I'll stuff a towel in there to test.

What push pins are you talking about? Got a pic?

dman090

Platinum Member
Reaction score
dont have a pic, but fold down the rear seats and you will see them. the only push pins there

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReynaldoPa

Latest posts