Pulling RR Brk Drums??

Mo Parz

Reaction score
Got a 2010 Cobalt with the 5 lug rr drums and they're already rusted to the hubs. Tried some heat and a heavy hammer with no success. Didn't want to get too heavy handed with it.

Should I use a large 3-legged puller at this point??

What have you folks used?

Thanks
Dean

Bass_Waves

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drums??? Did u de-adjust the brakes before attempting to pull. Is the e-brake off? The puller should be last resort

I sent this thru the Intranet™

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I used a BFH to get mine off, smacked the shit out of the drum until it finally broke loose. Just keep whacking at it till it comes loose, you could try some PB Blaster to help loosen it.

Mo Parz

Reaction score
Drums??? Did u de-adjust the brakes before attempting to pull. Is the e-brake off? The puller should be last resort

I sent this thru the Intranet™

Thanks for the input guys !

But I just used a 3-claw puller and it busted them loose just fine and easily. Didn't want to risk beating the drums out-of-round.

gberland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This may be a dead thread but thought I'd throw it out there ,when re adjusting your rear brake drum make sure to tighten the star wheel until the point were its snug an you cannot pull off your drum by hand. Basically you wanna be tighter then looser here. , from personal experience Lol my wheel came off because I did not tighten the rear drum enough with the star wheel. ....thank god no damage occurred

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This may be a dead thread but thought I'd throw it out there ,when re adjusting your rear brake drum make sure to tighten the star wheel until the point were its snug an you cannot pull off your drum by hand. Basically you wanna be tighter then looser here. , from personal experience Lol my wheel came off because I did not tighten the rear drum enough with the star wheel. ....thank god no damage occurred

Not tightening the rear brake shoes doesn't have anything to do with your wheel falling off, the wheel hub is independent of the brake drum. The proper way to tighten the brake shoes is to put the car in reverse and back up, pressing on the either the E-brake or brake (I can't remember) which makes the adjuster adjust.

What what the aftermath? Hub came off with the wheel and drum? Have any pictures?

gberland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ummm no picture s. I don't do allot of rear brake drum brakes but all I no is somehow the lugs worked themselves off and my wheel came off no threads where stripped no real damage actually and the wheel drum was loose as hell and I was able to slip it off with just my hand after the tire fell off so I reinstalled the wheel and readjusted the drums so they were tighter and hasn't giving me problems since

---------- Post added at 08:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 PM ----------

Sorry I did not mean to say wheel hub I meant to say the wheel drum I believe the wheel drum was so loose because I did not adjust it properly it worked the lugs of the rim off this happened about 4 days after I installed new drums

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I could see how if the drum didn't get seated all the way onto the hub that the wheel would end up loosening the lugnuts. Did you torque the lugnuts to 100 ft/lbs?

gberland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yuppers 100 ft. Had to have been something with my drum glad nothing major happened

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KaiAnderso