Purge Valve Solenoid Help!!!!!

MrLegit827

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 2006 Cobalt LT coupe. For about a month, I've had a few codes thrown at me and the dash tells me to 'check gas cap'. Gas cap is not the issue. I believe it is the purge valve solenoid. I can smell gas fumes at certain points around my car, especially around the engine. I forgot the name of the codes (I erased them without writing them down; my fault) but they said EVAP leak detected, and I'm pretty sure something about the purge valve. I believe they were P0446 and some other P04xx one.

I took out the solenoid today and I was told that if it's working properly you should be able to blow air through one end and it should come out the other. It didn't, I figured it was clogged.

Regarding the gas fumes and the situation given...can a faulty/leaking purge valve cause this? Any other suggestions or known parts to cause these codes/leaks?

No visible puddles or leaks of gas, just the fumes.

Thanks for any help!!!!!!

GMCustomerService

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 2006 Cobalt LT coupe. For about a month, I've had a few codes thrown at me and the dash tells me to 'check gas cap'. Gas cap is not the issue. I believe it is the purge valve solenoid. I can smell gas fumes at certain points around my car, especially around the engine. I forgot the name of the codes (I erased them without writing them down; my fault) but they said EVAP leak detected, and I'm pretty sure something about the purge valve. I believe they were P0446 and some other P04xx one.

I took out the solenoid today and I was told that if it's working properly you should be able to blow air through one end and it should come out the other. It didn't, I figured it was clogged.

Regarding the gas fumes and the situation given...can a faulty/leaking purge valve cause this? Any other suggestions or known parts to cause these codes/leaks?

No visible puddles or leaks of gas, just the fumes.

Thanks for any help!!!!!!

Hi MrLegit827,

I'm very sorry to hear about the gas fumes. I understand that odors can be undesirable in a vehicle. I would like to look into this further and run a check on your VIN for any potential open recalls. Can you please private message me your VIN, mileage, contact info, and preferred local dealership?

Thanks,
Vivian K.
GM Customer Care

06cobaltt

Reaction score
Had two cobalts come into the shop with the exact same symptoms. New purge valves for both. Fixed one of them but the other ended up being a cracked fitting on the fuel pump. My fiancé and I have a 06 cobalt that had the same fuel pump problem. I could physically crawl under the car and stick my hand up on top of the fuel pump and feel fuel and see residue on the side of the tank. I would check that also but start with the purge valve first.

MrLegit827

Reaction score
Hello, thanks for the reply and insight!!

last week I actually dropped the gas tank and I found the problem. it was the fuel pump. gas was leaking from the fuel pump and i found out that there is a service recall on this part so I took it to my GM dealer told them the problem and they gave me no hassle and said that they'll replace it for free since they saw the spotting and smelled the fumes.

I'm still getting an engine light and codes saying there's an air leak (probably due to the cracked pump) but I'll soon find out when they do the repairs if all the problems will go away.

06cobaltt

Reaction score
Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Too bad it was the more expensive repair of the two but sometimes that's how it goes. Reset the codes and you should be good to go.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buttonsup