Raw Gas Smell in Interior While Driving

DH10110

Reaction score
So the other day, my 2008 Cobalt LT failed to start on the first try, but the second try started fine. Immediately following, a strong odor of gasoline started flowing into the interior of the car. I was at work on my break at the time, so I had to wait until the next day to bring it into a shop. They lifted the car and found part of the fuel line by the rear driver side was rusted and cracked, with a small drip of fuel as the result (not even enough to notice a difference in fuel levels).

I had the issue fixed/patched by having a friend do what I saw on this forum from countless other threads (using high pressure tubing/hose and a few clamps), and the issue appeared to be fixed. The car started on the first try and there was only a small scent of gas, I assumed it was just the lingering scent still remaining.... I was wrong.

I put an air freshener in the car and lightly sprayed the seats with an odor eliminator and let it sit overnight. In the morning, I let the car warm up (21F degrees in NY this morning) and noticed the smell was still lingering, so I opened the window a crack and immediately the smell of gas started pouring into the car again until I shut the window. Also, note that it is not an exhaust fume smell, it wreaks exactly of fresh gasoline. Any idea's what I can try next?

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
IIRC there is a recall for the fuel pump, bring it by a dealer. Worst they'll charge you to diag it and you can decide where to go from there.

DH10110

Reaction score
IIRC there is a recall for the fuel pump, bring it by a dealer. Worst they'll charge you to diag it and you can decide where to go from there.

I was told that unfortunately the recall only applied to 2006-2007 models and that mine would not be covered. But even then, would a faulty fuel pump cause a strong gas smell to come flowing into the car when the window is open, no matter what speed I was driving? I assumed that since the pump was closest to the rear of the vehicle that it couldn't be causing the smell to come through the front windows while in motion.

Either way I appreciate your response & time, and any help or insight you can provide!

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It could. Time to roll under the car with it in the air to see if you can find the source of the smell.

Any puddles under the car?

DH10110

Reaction score
It could. Time to roll under the car with it in the air to see if you can find the source of the smell.

Any puddles under the car?

Before patching the rusted spot in the line there was a small slow drip, but since patching it by following posts found on the forums here the leak appears to have stopped. Since then the strong smell of gas is what is still consistent, even after the leak in the line appears to have stopped/been fixed. That's what is so confusing to me lol

Duo_sonic

Reaction score
Mine did the same thing. It smelled like gas for so many months then I jacked up the front end to change the oil. When i lowered the jack gas started pouring out. My mechanic did the repair . he said the line had multiple holes in it all the way up to the gas tank.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buttonsup