SES codes and stalling issues

Ultra_Z

Reaction score
Sorry for story, just am a detailed person...

My g/f car's idle has always been goofy since she's had it. She got it around 90k miles now has 148k... Never done much to it other than oil changes...
Pulled these codes:
p0106 map sensor
p0171 bank 1 too lean
p0300 random misfire
p0326 knock sensor
p0420 bank 1 low efficiency
p0446 evap vent

Day before yesterday I seafoamed via main vacuum line then I changed the plugs and fuel filter yesterday. Plugs were not factory but 2 on driver side were faulty. Plug driver-side on end (idk if cylinder #1 or 4) oil on plug, then next to that one crusty and white, other 2 were normal... plugs were autolite double plat and gaped at .060!!!! I read .040 for cobalts. i got copper autolites and gaped them at .043

fuel filter has grey/dirty gas come out of it... replaced with durajunk from autozone so not sure if its crap vs getting ac delco filter????
THEN
disconnected battery and nothing came on. she left my house and got home (15-20 mile drive) light popped back on and stalled on her. I'm wondering if the used car lot knew about the idle issue and gaped plugs bigger to stop the stalling???? She said the idle has always dipped down 400-500rpms and shoot back up to 1k-ish then settle around 700.

Got the car back from her today and pulled the p0420 code again, but that's it!!!!

Car has been driven 100 miles since, so I would like the map sensor code and others would have came back up??? but nothing else, just p420!! So I guess the 2 crappy plugs I pulled fixed most things...

SO, is the upstream o2 sensor bad or is it something wacky like a crank, fuel pump, etc?

I don't think it would be the cat b/c when I seafoamed it lots of white smoke from burning gunk off so the exhaust flow is fine.

Thanks in advance!!!

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
P0420 is the downstream sensor IIRC. It could have died or your cat is dead, at 148k I wouldn't be surprised with either result. Try a new downstream sensor first since they're cheap. But with the car dying it's more likely the cat.

The idle hunting probably means the MAF needs cleaned, that's easy.

The white smoke is the naphtha burning off, nothing more.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KaiAnderso