05 LT Questions

jshtex

Reaction score
Just picked up an 05 LS for my daughter about two hours ago. Normally I would do this kind of research before buying but it was too good a deal to pass up so...

Now that I own one, are there any "issues" that I need to check for or take care of with this particular model?

And yes I tried to search, but I couldn't come up with the appropriate phrase to look for.

Thanks for any advice!

Jeff

cobalt123

Platinum Member
Reaction score
big key right now is a national voluntary recall on all cobalt models for power steering control module. At any point in time if the car has not had the recall the power steering can fail will little or no warning...

rattles are standard. Its a cheap car from General Motors. holds up well in an accident, i lost control because of (see above) and did a 720 degrees and side swiped a steal beam walked out of the car without a scratch.

if suspension noises occur in the front more than likely control arm bushings or endlinks

I never had an issue with mine mechanically speaking. good gas mileage if proper maintenance is maintained. Oil/oil filter changed regularly, fuel filter changed 20k mile intervals, cabin air filter changed 15k is good practive, intake air filter change.

for me it was pretty reliable even considering the consumer reports have it bad on cobalts

06CobaltLS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
big key right now is a national voluntary recall on all cobalt models for power steering control module. At any point in time if the car has not had the recall the power steering can fail will little or no warning...

rattles are standard. Its a cheap car from General Motors.

I never had an issue with mine mechanically speaking. good gas mileage if proper maintenance is maintained. Oil/oil filter changed regularly, fuel filter changed 20k mile intervals, cabin air filter changed 15k is good practive, intake air filter change.

for me it was pretty reliable even considering the consumer reports have it bad on cobalts

Took the words right outa my mouth...haha jk

cobalt123

Platinum Member
Reaction score
its a good daily driver, reliable as any other can has the potential to be, all that depends on the driver. someone beating the hell out of it no matter a chevy cobalt of a bugatti veyron its not going to last. my car was running like at champ at nearly 100k miles when i traded it in

---------- Post added at 02:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 AM ----------

ignition key lock cylinders are known to get stuck with the engine running

this two. dealer will take car of it...if it happens while the engine is off, there is a hole underneath the steering wheel that has a pin that you push and key comes out

06CobaltLS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
100k miles isnt anything..my friends drive trucks with 300k+ miles..we worked on a dodge cummins with stock motor and tranny with 800k miles..just depends on how you take care of it.

cobalt123

Platinum Member
Reaction score
if it was a ford it wouldnt have lasted half that. if it was a dodge i never would have bought it

06CobaltLS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah fords suck..gas dodges suck..diesels are the best though..cummins all the way

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buttonsup