06 2.2 ticky and grindy noise on start up

ryley_999

Reaction score
hey everyone,

so i bought this car in the winter, noticed it has a tick on startup, let it run for a bit then it would go away and everything would be fine. the car would have to site for few hours before the noise would reappear.

so i did a oil change put full synthetic in, and Immediately the tick was louder and then a grindy noise appeared..

so on a cold start up, you hear the grindy noise for a second or two then grindy goes away and the tick starts..

so i figured the oil pump was going, so i decided to put some 20w-50 in there to see how that went,
first two starts it was better, like when first bought the car.
but now after two days, its getting worse, grindy and ticky stick around considerably longer,

the car has 289k on it, still has original chain tensioner,

any ideas of some things i should check out?? figured i will take the head cover off this weekend and check the chain and chain guides. also im wondering if the oil pump is bad?

ill post of video of the noises, its hard to hear grindy but its there

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Stop driving it. You've probably broken a timing chain guide. Pickup a timing chain set and replace the two guides, bolts, and timing chain tensioner.

The black timing chain guide has a habit of breaking when the timing chain tensioner isn't doing its job. You'll probably want to replace the bolt holding the top of the black timing chain guide as well.

ryley_999

Reaction score
crap i was hoping it wasn't the guides, guess its coming apart this weekend, any clue as to why the noise would go away? also do u you think the ticking noise is from the chain guide problem?

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unsure, but pull the valve cover and have a look down the front side of the motor. You should see the top of a chain guide there. If all you see is a bolt then you've broken that guide. Get at it soon as skipping timing is a whole new world of hurt.

ryley_999

Reaction score
Alright, so I took the head cover off, and both chain guides are there and in tact. And there no slack on the chain I tried moving it with a screw driver and turning the motor with a wrench and no slack pops up any where,

But the motor is sludged up pretty good
Far side of the motor is more sludged up and dry from oil, same end where you can see the square hole is pretty clogged up. No clue what that's for

20160709_142455.jpg

20160709_140522.jpg

ryley_999

Reaction score
Also found broken stud from the manifold so I'm curious if that's where my ticky noise is coming from.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Glad to hear that the guides are good. Did you see all three in there? (please note that the black guide in this picture is upside down.)
20052008-chevrolet-cobalt-timing-chain-kit-replacement-chevrolet-timing-chain-kit-repl300101-05-06-07-08.jpg

A busted exhaust manifold stud would certainly make a ticking noise. That oil gunk is nasty, the port you pointed out should be an oil return from the valvetrain. It dumps back into the oil pan.

The gunk tells me that either really crappy oil has been run for way too extended periods of time, or the car got over heated a few times and coked oil up there.

ryley_999

Reaction score
Yup I check it all everything is tight and intact, I'm almost certain now that the ticky is the manifold because the sound is coming from the back of the motor no where else . And I'm thinking the grindy noise is my starter because the sound is coming from the middleish of the front of the motor.I'm gonna swap out the start just to see what happens. As for the sludge. I drained out of the oil u put in last weekend and dumped in some tranny fluid.

What is worriring me now. Is the two intake lobes on the driver side were almost dry :/ that front right side is kinda starVing for oil. Same spot were that return hole is pretty gummed up

Any ideas on what I should do???

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buttonsup