06 cobalt ls(front noist & vibrating)

moneymark2005

Reaction score
i am new to this forum so sorry if this has been asked before. have only had the cobalt 2 weeks and there is a noise in the front, sounds like it is coming from the passenger side. it sounds like rubbing noise or maybe a grinding noise. when i hit 40 -50 mph i get a vibrating in the steering wheel. i have took it to firestone and monroe where i live and they say that the wheel bearings are fine but they also say they dont hear. i know i am not hearing things. anyone that can help me point out the problem thanks. also good the tires not be balanced right.

Bass_Waves

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would jack up the car and check the bearing out. Also tie rod. Do a left to right movement and see if it clunks. Then do a up and down motion. This is to check bearing and tie rod. Another thing could be a bad axle noise. Highly doubt it but anything is possible. The vibration can be that or in fact it can be a bent rim. Causing vibrations. I would also thoroughly check out the tire and wear pattern.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4

ramon

Reaction score
Just went though this. it's the front wheel bearing hub. Sold as assembly, one unit non-serviceable. Make sure you mention if you have anti-skid. Make sure you check both sides.

r

moneymark2005

Reaction score
all four tires are wearing evenly. i do notice that when i turn the wheels there is a popping noise but the guy at monroe said its play cause of how many miles our on the car.how do i tell which wheel bearing is bad. thanks for your guys im put.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You said it sounds like the passenger front is where the noise is coming from, that's probably the bearing that's gone bad.

MP81

Reaction score
Yep, just replaced mine earlier this year...sucker sounded like a Banshee in my driver-front wheel, it was loud!

I did the typical "move the wheel around" test for the wheel bearing, and strangely it didn't exhibit any play there, or at least anything noticible. When you spun the bearing by hand, though, with the wheel/rotor removed, it became hilariously clear that it was bad.

moneymark2005

Reaction score
its not as loud as yours is but when i am driving i can hear a grinding noise on that side. it wont be a axle on that side.

Bass_Waves

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Grinding noise 99% of the time is the wheel bearing. On these cars I believe they are quite easy to replace. But double check it

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buttonsup