06 Cobalt Steering/Front End Rattle

RavensGuy7180

Reaction score
Front end steering noise in 2006 Cobalt - steering column or something else?

So, here's my situation: I have a 2006 Chevy Cobalt LS with 81k miles on it. I purchased it about 13 months ago with about 68k miles.

Ever since I bought it, there's been a progressively worsening noise that sounds like it's coming from the steering column. When I go over bumps or primarily when the surface is uneven or cracked, the rattle is at its worst. The noise is a rattle and can be more like a crack if the uneven surface is sharp enough. I do notice that occasionally the wheel seems to pull one way or the other when pulling up to a stop, although overall the steering seems to hold up pretty well. I think the noise is just what's gotten worse, although the steering definitely has lost some of its tightness.

Also interesting to note is that the steering column clicks when returning to center after making a turn and when parked the rattle is still present if you try to pull the wheel one way or the other.

I really want to get this fixed but I also don't want to go through an expensive steering column repair to find that it was something else. Thanks in advance!!!
I know that the sway bars/links go bad on this model, had my mechanic check and he said they were tight.

Given the mileage and the model year, I have a feeling a lot of city miles were done on this car (and if it was driven around Baltimore too much without careful operating, the roads are really rough).

Thanks in advance for your help!

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The column on my 09 rattles going over bumps, sounds something like slop in the steering wheel but hasn't effected anything yet. Yours I'm not sure what to check besides that all your suspension parts are tight.

RavensGuy7180

Reaction score
The column on my 09 rattles going over bumps, sounds something like slop in the steering wheel but hasn't effected anything yet. Yours I'm not sure what to check besides that all your suspension parts are tight.
Thanks - that sounds like mine. Doesn't it make a pretty nasty noise, though? One of those things that's hard to ignore

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hard to describe really. If I rotate the wheel left and right rapidly with the car off you can hear it hitting the stops. I guess it just sounds like a tiny bit of metal/mechanical slop.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KaiAnderso