06 LS front end rebuild

scottfarcuz

Reaction score
Ive got a 2007 cobalt LS with 110k miles that needs some attention. The control arm bushings need replaced again (shocking I know) but while I am at it I was planning to replace the struts, and sway bar end links. This leads me to 2 questions.

1. Are there other commonly worn out parts I should consider replacing while doing this?

2. I am considering just replacing the entire lower control arm and have seen people here mention that they can be replaced with parts from a different/newer model that will hold up a bit better, but I don't understand the fe5 etc reference. Can someone just tell me what year/model I should order the control arms for?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

ALSO PLEASE NOTE: The car is an 07. It wont let me edit the thread title

Last edited:

Bass_Waves

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ugh I wish I knew.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

wehan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm doing mine soon, did the lca. Bushings about 2 months ago and am planing on struts, wheel bearings, steering column gear box thing, and sway bar links. If I run into anything else while I'm in there I will post it up here. Oh yeah, 120k miles on the clock.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using tapatalk 2

wehan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did the front wheel bearings yesterday and the outer tie rod ends seem to be a bit on the sloppy side. Also the lower ball joints. My dad works for a state run trade school for challenged people and they have a shop class specializing in alignments, oil change and suspension/steering. I'm going to take it in and have them check it out because labor is free and it helps them learn (the instructor checks all work and is a 40 year mechanic veteran)

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using tapatalk 2

1ATony

Reaction score
We carry new control arms for the Chevy Cobalt on our website. Here's a link to the 2007 ones that we carry if you would like to see what we have.

Cobalt Control Arms

scottfarcuz

Reaction score
My rebuild turned into a nightmare after the caged nut for the large rear control arm bushing broke off the frame. After reading online it sounds like a fairly common problem. I spent about 4 hours on this one bolt/nut but was finally able to get it apart. The only place I could find a replacement for the bolt was the dealership who charged me $12 for it plus the 45 mile round trip...

I ended up replacing:
Control arms
sway bar endlinks
struts
strut mounts
rear springs (one was broken)
rear shocks
tires

In the end after alignment, tire mounting/balancing etc I had almost exactly a grand in the whole thing.

jonny_b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might have well done full tierods, and the intermediate shaft as well. They'll probably be next, or if you have a shake, they are already bad since you replaced everything else. BUT for future knowledge, the fe5 suspension is just the ss stuff. It is obviously stiffer. Shocks and struts are good with lowering springs, lca's are just stronger, but i'm not sure about the stock bushings in them. I would replace every one of them with a poly bushing of some sort. I am talking every single bushing on the car. If it is bad, upgrade because the stock stuff sucks. Moog is a good brand from what people say. I replaced my lca bushings once, if it happens again soon, i'm going fe5 (ss) lca and immediately putting poly in them before even installing them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KaiAnderso