07 Cobalt SS purchase

XVI1987

Reaction score
Hi guys, I just put a small fee down for an 07 Cobalt SS with 180,000KMs on it. Just have a few qs about it while I wait and before anything is totally finalized. First off, is the clutch hydraulic? If it is, is it normal for the clutch to not grab the crank until almost completely releasing the clutch? Can that be adjusted so it catches a bit sooner?
Are there any good things to maybe take a look at? Known issues or any commonly worn out parts? The door handles and shift knob have chrome peels which I've seen a lot in Cobalts and G5s...
Yea though, any advise would be cool! It's a poor credit purchase so I'm going to be paying a decent amount more than it's worth so it would be amazing to know what to look for while I'm driving it. Thanks!

Edit - I've read some things like bad front rotors, bad lock cylinders in the steering column, sunroof problems[mine has no sunroof], TURNS OFF AT TOP SPEED?? Not that I plan to go that fast but I think there are much safer ways to slow a car down at governed speed! Steering rack/power steering pump recall? It's a N/A version, is the engine/5 speed a strong combo for durability and paint chipping off wheels.... does anyone know if this applies to the SS chrome wheels?

Last edited:

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome!

The clutch is hydraulic and self adjusting.

Power steering motor(it's electric) is a recall.

XVI1987

Reaction score
Thanks! Self adjusting meaning almost complete release until it catches says that it's almost gone?

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If it catches, it catches. Until you start getting slip don't worry about it.

XVI1987

Reaction score
That makes sense. Forgot to test the clutch when I road tested it. Anything else to maybe worry about?

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
With that mileage I'd flush all the fluids: coolant, transmission fluid, engine oil, and brakes. Clutch fluid is pulled from the brake cylinder so you just need to bleed the whole thing and then the clutch last.

Check all rubber bits: belts, hoses, mounts, bushings, and weather seals. There's a rubber conditioning product you can use on all but the belt to keep them from drying out, don't know the name.

Supercharger coolant could use a flush and it's oil changed too l. No idea how to do either, I'll let the LSJ guys help you out there.

Bleeding the clutch might help with pedal height, changing to a braided stainless line should help with feel. I have changed my brake lines out to braided stainless, haven't done my clutch line yet. Brake pedal is night and day difference.

GMCustomerService

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck with your Cobalt purchase! If there's ever anything we can try and help with, please let us know.

Amber N.
GM Customer Care

XVI1987

Reaction score
Basic maintenance stuff then hey? Do Cobalts take just oil in the standard trans? Never heard about braided lines either, pretty interesting. Thanks for the stuff so far, and thanks GM rep. Hope it's a worth while purchase! Also - Is there a way to check codes without a scanner like most Dodges?

Last edited:

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The transmission takes a special fluid, can't remember the name off hand. Check crateenginedepot.com

You need a scanner to check engine codes, if you have a smartphone you can buy an obd2 Bluetooth piece for ~$18USD that will let you do that along with view live data.

Bass_Waves

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its a special oil for the trans. Go to the dealer and get their stuff. Pricey but can't beat it.

If you have an auto parts store like auto zone
they can scan for free

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KaiAnderso